Compatible? Good?

nuketown

Beta member
Hey Guys, first post; wish me luck

Here's a build I came up with, just wondering if you could check if it was compatible, and that the funds are being distributed well? Is that video card to expensive for the other parts?

Thanks!

Case : NZXT Guardian 921 RB
PSU : OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular
CPU : i5 3570k
Mobo: ASRock Extreme4
Video Card: EVGA 670 2GB
HDD: WD Caviar Blue
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer i30

Powering monitor 2560x1440

Everything (as far as I can tell) is compatible and no, the GPU is not too expensive for the build.
Only a couple of things to note though:

1) Personally I'd go with an Asus mobo due to personal experience, but I'm sure the asrock will do fine

2) You may want to get a more powerful PSU. The current one will do fine, but if you ever want to SLI then you'd be better off going for a 750W at least. Perhaps even get a PSU with 80+ bronze/silver/gold efficiency

3) Don't you want an SSD? It would drastically improve boot times and are (relatively) cheap at the moment; only ~£86 for a Crucial m4 128GB at scan.

4) What about an operating system, do you already have that?

Edit - Just realised this, you'll need RAM as well won't you?

Last edited:
Everything (as far as I can tell) is compatible and no, the GPU is not too expensive for the build.
Only a couple of things to note though:

1) Personally I'd go with an Asus mobo due to personal experience, but I'm sure the asrock will do fine

2) You may want to get a more powerful PSU. The current one will do fine, but if you ever want to SLI then you'd be better off going for a 750W at least. Perhaps even get a PSU with 80+ bronze/silver/gold efficiency

3) Don't you want an SSD? It would drastically improve boot times and are (relatively) cheap at the moment; only ~£86 for a Crucial m4 128GB at scan.

4) What about an operating system, do you already have that?

Edit - Just realised this, you'll need RAM as well won't you?

1) thanks for the advice

2) Tough call... Would you go for a 750W in my situation?

3) A little short on funds right now, probably in a few months

4)yep I've already got Windows

I forgot RAM too
8GB GSkill Ripjaws

1) If you do end up going for an Asus motherboard I'd recommend the P8Z77-v series

2) Yes, for 3 reasons;
No. 1 - You'll save money in the long run, a lower PSU now would cost (lets say) £50 and then upgrading later would mean paying £80, whereas you could just pay £80 now.
No. 2 - It gives the option of SLIing, and the only thing better than 1 670 is 2 679s (or 2 680s/690s/7970s etc. :p )
No. 3 - It's more efficient. Not only are higher end models made with 80+ efficiency but also, the less power a PSU uses the more effective it is

3) That's ok, just be careful when re-installing the OS on the SSD

4) -

5) The RAM will be fine, so long as you're using 1600+mhz (it doesn't need to be, but it would be a waste not to)

1) If you do end up going for an Asus motherboard I'd recommend the P8Z77-v series

2) Yes, for 3 reasons;
No. 1 - You'll save money in the long run, a lower PSU now would cost (lets say) £50 and then upgrading later would mean paying £80, whereas you could just pay £80 now.
No. 2 - It gives the option of SLIing, and the only thing better than 1 670 is 2 679s (or 2 680s/690s/7970s etc. :p )
No. 3 - It's more efficient. Not only are higher end models made with 80+ efficiency but also, the less power a PSU uses the more effective it is

3) That's ok, just be careful when re-installing the OS on the SSD

4) -

5) The RAM will be fine, so long as you're using 1600+mhz (it doesn't need to be, but it would be a waste not to)
Worth an extra $10 i presume?

Back
Top Bottom