Charging confusion

emperor76

In Runtime
I have been confused for a while now, that the laptop seems to decide it has no charge when it does and won't turn on until I connect the charger, once it's on, I can disconnect the charger and continue. Since I'm almost always in the house it's not a massive problem, more an annoyance really. Anyone had a similar problem?

Yes, it sounds like the first cells in your battery are dead. This happens when overcharging or naturally as they degrade.

I had a similar problem on my VAIO laptop, some of the battery cells were dead and it would never run after half full (or half empty), it would simply power off once it reached around the halfway point.

You could just replace the battery.

Yes, it sounds like the first cells in your battery are dead. This happens when overcharging or naturally as they degrade.

I had a similar problem on my VAIO laptop, some of the battery cells were dead and it would never run after half full (or half empty), it would simply power off once it reached around the halfway point.

You could just replace the battery.

Thanks, had a very quick look. They seem to be around £40, it will probably be something at the bottom of the list of things to do unless it starts causing serious problems, thanks again for the info.

Once you connect then disconnect the charger, does your battery then work normally and indicate it has a full charge that depletes normally or does it only ever show less than 100% charge and depletes rapidly? If there are bad cells, I would expect that the battery would never indicate that it was fully charged.

What make/model laptop is it?

Back
Top Bottom