Changing computers -- OS installation & RAM

shinsplints

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here so thanks in advance to everyone who replies.

I recently got an old IBM desktop (P4 2.8GHz) but with no OS installed on it. I have an even older Compaq desktop (Celeron 2.4GHz) that I'd like to replace with the IBM. Is it advisable to use the Compaq install CDs to load Windows?

Second, can I just take the PC2100 RAM from the Compaq and install it on the IBM (PC2700)? I just figure that more RAM is always better.

Cheers!

i wouldnt use the compaq discs, only time i would is if its only an OS disc, nothing more, just make sure it says the OS on the front and like for distribution with new pc's only, that will work, and yes you can use the compaq ram with the ibm, the 2100 wont run as 2700, and the 2700 will run like 2100

good luck!
bullzi

Hi Bullzi,

Thanks for the quick reply! So, if the CD says "For distribution with a new Compaq PC only", I can still install it on the IBM? This is great! I just figured that the CD had a mechanism that can determine whether the PC is Compaq and if it wasn't, then it'll disallow you installing the OS.

Cheers!

not a problem mate!

oh thats too bad, ya usually if it says for distribution with new pc only, its OEM and will work just like a regular copy... sorry to hear that, good luck with the update and such!

sincerely
bullzi

Back
Top Bottom