Changing computer motherboard.

KiranH

Beta member
Hi first post, so sorry if I have posted in the wrong place!

I have a Dell Inspiron 4000 which unfortunately has a broken ethernet port and it's only USB port is also broken. It has a pIII processor which runs 850mhz at with 128mb ram. It has a 10GB hard-drive.

What I would like to do is replace it's current motherboard with a better one. It's motherboard at the moment can only cope with 850mhz, and plus I would like to replace the USB port, Ethernet port and the processor.

Can anyone recommend me what new [cheap] motherboard I should get, and how to go about it?

Thanks

I think?
Dell has to do that as a motherboard change is very tricky.
If you go buy one it might not fit unless it is Dell compatable.
This is risky with all the parts that could be broken.

d

Daroll is right, aside from mobo installs being tricky, and cpu installs even trickier, dells cases i believe are proprietary, so the mobo screw holes might not be in the right place on a retail mobo, and the power button/light/hdd light pins may also be proprietary on your dell case.

you want to change the motherboard?
isnt a Dell Inspiron 4000 an laptop?
if it is, i wouldnt recommend changing it since to find a replacement board for that exact model (pretty much have to) will take a long time and will cost a lot of money since its deactivated (not being sold anymore) and its more rare.
Its best to go get a new laptop. Look around, you could probably get one for $400 like me, and its pretty fast for a $400 laptop.

Got to it before me.

I believe you can replace your mother board. It's not really that tricky as some of you say it is. The Dell case is in a BTX form instead of a ATX but I believe its the same layout for the motherboard. All computer cases come with many holes for the riser screws so its compatible with all motherboards of that type. BTX is just a different layout of where the PSU, Hard drives etc are located in the case. CPU installation is rather simple, you just need a coffee filter(Reason: It's free of all lint, dust, etc), Rubbing Alcohol to clean the thermal compound off the CPU and Heatsink, and some more thermal compound to reapply to the CPU in the new motherboard socket.

The only problem is:
Where the hell are we going to find a motherboard that supports P3's!!!!!
They don't even make Socket 370's anymore!!!

Newegg doesn't have one I am sure of that. Unless you can buy it off ebay(risky as old things off ebay are often broken) or some other place your at a lost cause.

Also, THAT'S A LAPTOP(Just google'd it). Laptop's are EXTREMELY difficult to work with and besides that, I don't even think you could buy a laptop motherboard. There is absolutely no chance(Maybe a little) of you fixing that laptop.

I would believe its time for a new computer. Google linked me to a review of that laptop in 2001!

Well, I was faced with changing a Dell motherboard not too long ago. Google your motherboard model number (found somewhere on the motherboard) and see if you can find out what other Dell motherboards are compatible. If you find one that supports something higher, go to ebay and see if you can find one. You can usually pick up a complete old pc like that for cheap. Or, if worse comes to worse, go on ebay and look for your current model of pc, you might be able to pick up a motherboard, or even a whole pc again for cheap. If you're lucky, you might be able to find one.

If you can't find anything, perhaps it's time to upgrade? Come up with a budget and build a much better pc. CF is a great place for advice, we'll help you build one and pick out parts!

Hi, thanks for your replies. Yes it is an old laptop - from 2001. :eek:

It seems like finding a new motherboard is going to be trickier than I first thought, so I'm not sure I will bother going that far...

Is there a way I could fix my USB port and my Ethernet port, instead of buying a new laptop [because I'm a bit stingy ;)] ?

I have found some suitable RAM upgrades on eBay.

Thanks anyway.

oo damn.. I feal soo sad when something I USED to is broken and I need to replace it.......

I think You won't find anything for that old boy..
thats realy upsetting.. no usb, no lan..

Is there a serial port to USB adapter or serial port to Ethernet port adapter?

New MOBO will come with USBs and an ethernet port. But my area of expertise is only on desktops (I would get one if your laptop isn't for work). So I can't help with laptop mobo's sry. CyberPowerPC.com Is GREAT with fast, affordable desktops (and even laptops!)

Back
Top Bottom