CD Write Speed

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
I understand that when i burn a cd and select from 10x, 20x, 40x, 60x, and 80x what it really is talking about is the amount of KB/S transferred. But where do the terms 10x, 20x, 40x, 60x, and 80x come from? What are they relative to?

Well the 10x,20x,40x,60,80x they are burning speeds the bigger the number the faster the CD will Burn so the quicker it will be but sometimes with fast burns (60x,80x)
the CD burning will fail.By the way What CD burner do you have???I tought the fastest burning speed was 52x.The x at the end of the number im preety sure that is r the optical speed of the Drive.

Its always better to burn at slower speed, as that gives the computer enough time to correctly process everything.

yeah if you try and burn a large file with the highest burning speed, your most likely going to get corrupted files or freezes in scenes in movies. i always burn my CDs/DVDs at the recommended speed Nero gives me for the file size. 4x for movies and 8x for data CDs/DVDs

i wasnt sure if i just had a slow drive and they went up to 80 and mine only up to 52. Where do they get the numbers though? How does 20x 30x... and so on relate to transfering KB/S?

I burn everything on cd's at 52x and I've never had a problem. DVD's I burn at 12x and never had a problem there either.

Back in the day there were no X's since all drives read at "1X", the "X" refers to roughly 150kb per second, so 32x would refer to 32 times that speed, or 4800 kb per second.

neodude112320 said:
I tought the fastest burning speed was 52x.The x at the end of the number im preety sure that is r the optical speed of the Drive.
They have CD-ROMs of 56x and 72x. So, some burners might have them, but 80x, I mean seriously, no need for that fast. Slow burn speeds is safest for data writing.

Here, read this:
http://www.targetpc.com/hardware/cd-rom/kenwood72x/

60x CD drives:
cddrive60xmaze.jpg

56X CD drives:
Drive.jpg

Back
Top Bottom