CD/DVD drive won't read CD-R but...

tedstevens

Beta member
Hey all. I've got a CD/DVD drive and it won't read any blanks cds, like CD-R. When I put in DVDs in it will read them such as movies or just any DVD disc with data on it. Can anyone please help me with this one. Thanks a lot.:)

What do you mean won't read? When you open up 'My Computer' it doesn't say "[cd name] (which should be a number or something) [drive letter]:"? I mean, if it's blank you shouldn't expect an auto-run or anything to be written on it.

Yes. It won't recognize any blank CD I put in the drive. It's like putting nothing in the drive when I put my blank disc in. When I try to burn songs on a blank CD, no media player will recognize my blank disc and it asks me to insert a blank CD even though one is already in there. By the way, it's a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S ATA Device. And like I said, it absolutely reads DVDs, no problem.

Could it be that it only reads DVDs? I've never heard of that but...do you have any blank DVDs to try and write to? It could be that.

I've had this drive for over three years now. It does write to blank CDs/DVDs. I just don't know why all of a sudden it doesn't read any blank CD-Rs anymore :(

Maybe it's just going bad. I'm not an expert with them. I usually just do the simple analysis to see if that solves the problem. If it persists someone else can get right on it. Fortunately, if it comes down to buying a new one, they're relatively cheap.

Back
Top Bottom