CD/DVD disappearing

sean82uk

Beta member
Please note i'm a bit of a novice at computers.

My CD/DVD Rom seems to, at random, do a Houdini act ie.. It doesn't appear in My Computer, CD's once inserted start to load then just stop. It is as if the drive has vanished.
The weird thing is this, when I bought the computer a few months ago the problem briefly appeared once only disappear the following day, since then the CD Rom has worked fine ever since, until Now that is!
When discs are actually recognised the drive works fine, discs burn alright etc..
So I don't think it's a hardware fault, plus the laptop is fairly new.

Now the drive just appears when it wants to: sometimes it is recognised at Boot Up-appears on Windows, then usually the drive disappears after about 10mins, sometimes approx 40mins.
Once I caught the Drive logo in My Computer actually disappear before my very eyes, a big red logo appears over it and it then vanishes into thin air!
Sometimes the drive is simply not recognised at BootUp full stop.
It is a totally random event.

The Event Viewer records the error thus…

Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 12
Source: PlugPlayManager
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ERR_SURPRISE_REMOVAL_2
The device 'CD-ROM Drive' (IDE\CdRomPHILIPS_SPD8003L1_______________________U5P1____\5&2202d80a&0&0.1.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

I have tried reinstalling Windows but to no avail.
I have also tried reconfiguring the order the drives boot up in Bios but it doesn't seem to matter either way.

Some specs that I can find…
Motherboard: Mobile Intel Celeron M350
CPU/Speed:1300 mhz
Video Card: Mobile Intel R 915GMS, GMS 910.gml Express
Operating System: Win XP

Thanks in advance

Yeah but if its loose then the signal will be intermittant causing the problems ya mentioning above, so just check the connectors

Back
Top Bottom