CD drive woes

Techy Geek

Daemon Poster
Hi,
The CD drives on both my laptop and desktop have suddenly failed on me. They still work, as I can hear them spinning and I haven't noticed any odd noises. The connections are good, I took them both apart to have a look (bit risky on a laptop???). But I cannot understand what is happening, I think its a case that my computer simply won't recognise them, sometimes they work (for a short time) and sometimes they don't.
Can anyone suggest what the problem may be, and how I would go about fixing it? :D
thanks in advance

Do you have p3 toshiba sattelites by any chance? My family had two of them, and both of them a cd drives failing, exact same thing as you subscribed. I googled and it's a known problem.

my CD drive on my desktop failed, apparently cause of cat hair getting inside the computer...except mine wouldnt open or anything. i guess you could check the drivers? try updating them or something (start>my computer [right click] properties > hardware > device manager) theres also a troubleshooter for the drive (i think).

Do they just not work with any CD in the drive at all?

Weird, sounds like something's gone phut if neither of them work.

No they are not p3 toshiba sattelites, I simply cannot believe that they have both died, but yet they still sometimes work, I cannot understand it, is it something to do with ms not recognising the drives, has anyone heard of this??

The troubleshooter is rubbish, I know the contacts and power supplies are good for them both, and I can't seem to be able to update the drivers, I'm told its practically impossible to find drivers for my laptop CD drive, and I cant seem to find any for the desktop either. humph :(

Back
Top Bottom