Case/Coolers

G9

Daemon Poster
For my question, I am talking about the reknowned Kingwin case.

1. It has 5 5.25" external bays... enough for my plans for two optical drives and two rubber band suspended hard drives. The thing is, can it do rubber-band suspension, or is its architecture not matching of the example given in Maximum PC's do-it-yourself guide?
2. In the reviews I read about some problems on the audio jack... can someone explain them to me?
3. If possible, I need suggestions for a case containing the following:
-At least 4 5.25" bays
-Enough space for water cooling (I'd like suggestions here...
-Non-plastic material
-Black color
-Rubber band suspension compatibility
-A lot of front ports, if possible
-Mid-tower form factor
These are other cases I had in mind:
- Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply (The reviews are very compelling)
- MGE QUANTUM CA-QUANTUM Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (A bit expensive, but looks nice)
- iStarUSA S8 Storm Series Black 1.0mm SECC/SGCC (chassis) ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Cheap, and I'm loving the port count on the front panel)
-Antec Performance I P180B Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel for durability through the majority of chassis 1.0mm cold rolled steel around the 4 x HDD area ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (I've heard of fragility with the optical drives... and it isn't inexpensive at all... not to mention it doesn't have any extras, not even a psu...)
-ATRIX CSCI-L8033-C43 Black SECC steel sheeting FCC class CB&CE approved ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 480W Power Supply (Cheapest out of the selection... lots of ports... and an included power supply!)
- Sunbeam TRIO IC-TRIO-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply (Kind of like the Quantum, but a lot cheaper, and including a power supply)
- Broadway Com Corp 82-4HL Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply (The LCD is nice, lots of ports, cheap, the best power supply of them all... but what happened to the reviews?)
-JUST PC R700 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Home Theater PC Case (Looks nice... but is there a reason behind the price?

I also have a question about water cooling. I'm currently looking at this one and am wondering if it's also a vga cooler and compatible with AM2. If not, I need more suggestions... and if there is no other water cooler that is superior, I will keep with that and this VGA air cooler, if it is compatible with a 7600GT.

Thanks!

NOTE: Originally posted on Maximum PC and adapted for it (notice, I mention the do-it-yourself guide), but they aren't being responsive... so... :)

Alright, you're aware that the only reason hard drives make so much noise is because they're disk rotation vibrates against the conventional metal frame that holds them... the consequence is the noise. Maximum PC published a guide to supsend harddrives via rubber bands. You take a thick, 4 in. across rubberbands, wind them around 2 pencils (or another cylindrical counterpart), put the pencils in place of the cages, and stick the HDD between the two sets of rubberbands... it's very difficult to explain. :p

Ahh I see what you mean, just to dampen the noise. How I first pictured it I saw harddrives hanging with only rubberbands keeping them from falliing to the ground :eek:

Yeah, it's a bit more firm than that :p

Though moving the rig around might be a problem... however if the bands are tight enough, that too won't be a problem... unless they're too tight, they'll snap.

Or you can just get some rubber pieces(cant remember name, are basically rubber washers) to put between the hard drive cage and the hard drive.

As for the case, either of the Antec ones are really nice. I would go with the first antec one though just becauase they make nice cases and the power supply that is included isnt really crappy like most power supplies that come with cases.

Hmm... that seems sensible. If only we knew the name [of the rubber washer]! :)

That Antec one [with the PSU] is also quite small... which I like. I'm used to Silverstone TJ07 size, but I've realized they are insensibly big.

Man, I don't know about having my hard drives secured by only a couple rubber bands and pencils......I think I'll stick with screws.

Yeah... that's what Amish Kid and I were talking about. Using rubber plates instead of mere string suspension.

I've narrowed the case selections to these:
- Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply (The reviews are very compelling)
- MGE QUANTUM CA-QUANTUM Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (A bit expensive, but looks nice)
- Broadway Com Corp 82-4HL Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply (The LCD is nice, lots of ports, cheap, the best power supply of them all... but what happened to the reviews?)
- ASPIRE X-Alien ATXA1A-BK/420 Black Steel Server Computer Case 420W Power Supply (Pricing isn't bad, reviews are good... it's got a nice selection of ports, and it comes with a PSU)

Back
Top Bottom