Can't turn resolution up, help!

chlorinekid

Beta member
I'm having a problem getting my computer to boot up in a resolution any greater than 640x480x8bit

They're the default settings on my desktop after I've installed a fresh copy of XP. Normal procedure is then to install some nVidia drivers and bump my resolution to 1024x768x32bit. I've done this loads of times in the past and it's always worked fine. This time however, after I'd installing my drivers (The same ones I've used before) and rebooted the computer the monitor gets past the windows loading screen and then goes off and the light goes orange, a sure sign of something wrong.

At first I just thought that the monitor was bust and wouldn't handle the resolution after Id turned it up, but I've been able to run a Linux Live CD and the monitor has no problem with the 1024x768x32bit display settings.

I can only think It's something to do with Windows rather than the monitor.

I can then boot into vga mode from the boot screen, the monitor sets to its default 640x480x8bit but when i try to turn it up again the same thing happens. monitor goes off and the litle orange light comes on...

Like I say, I've done this in the past with no probs, but now its being funny with me.

Any ideas?

Try getting the latest drivers for your video card. Maybe it's a problem with your video card, which card do you have?

I have a GeForce 6600 GT. The card is ok when booting into linux at a high res and I've used the same drivers before. I think it must be some setting under windows I can't think what though. Any ideas?

I think you need Linux and Windows drivers... May as well just download some Windows drivers and see if that clears it up, it probably will.

they're windows drivers that ive installed. when i boot the linux live cd it must either be using drivers on the cd or using the windows ones.

either way, ive got windows nvidia drivers installed and can't turn up the res without the monitor freaking out....

Back
Top Bottom