can't open MS-DOS games

Dishdog

Fully Optimized
hello, i recently upgraded from windows 98 to XP and all the games i play that use MS-DOS don't seem to want to open. i have tried to reinstall them but i still get the same warning when i try to open them.

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

C:\...(file name)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

then there's 2 boxes "Close" and "Ignore". the ignore just closes the box

how do i make it so my computer will open these games? Or can it even be done?

Im afraid DOS games dont work on XP

windows 98 downwards worked on the same DOS coding on startup (thats the autoexec btw) however XP is different.

The ONLY thing i can think of and its a long shot and only worked with a few games when i tried
is to go to the games files properties and run in MS-DOS win/95 compatiblity mode.
sometimes going into safe mode also helps play these games.

Its a bit of a hit and miss really
I cant explain why safe mode works but it does sometimes lol

i own warcraft two and i'm pritty sure it runs on MS-DOS(as in it doesn't work) so it useless now

Not nessecarily

I havent done this myself but i think you can partition your hard drive into two segments (one of them preferably quite small as il state about more later) and put windows XP on one of the partitions and MS-DOS or preferably windows 95/98 as they work the game onto the smaller partition 9as you wont be using this much and the games are small you only need to partition say, 2GB for the OS and everything else, maybe more if youve got more games.

As i said i havent done it
but from what i know its theoretically possible
one of my friends has more than one OS and i think thats how he did it...i THINK

Unfortunately, I've tried multi-booting with LILO, and XP overrides the boot option. XP sucks. too bad I run it. My friend tried it in compatibility mode w/Windows 95, and it didn't work. I'd look around for an old junky computer at yard sales to play those games on.

Thats why you put the main HDD with linux or something and XP as the slave OS on the slave HDD
that way XP cant say what can or cant be done,

as i said i THINK thats how my friend did it, but hes one hell of a smart bastard and always screwed around with comps
he got the MAC OS running on a normal PC even though the processors are incompatible...he did some kind of emulation thing, either way multiple OS's on the same computer is possible-ive seen it
Even if its a windows 95/98 emulator-it still might work

Back
Top Bottom