Cant open anything on my system !!! help !!

rocketpants

Baseband Member
I seem to having major problems with my XP system..the PC boots up ok but once i get to the desktop that is pretty much it !! I can start up programes using the "all programmes" button but cant seem to get any windows applications to work, My computer, my documents, my pictures etc etc, if i click on them (or right click) the hour glass icon appears a few seconds then disappears, ive tried going through system tools...system restore just get stuck on the front page then shuts down...ive tried to start in safe mode...but for some crazy reason the up -down keys dont move the icon so i cant even start in safe mode...ive run chkdisk twice as per microsoft instructions..even internet explorer wont work...ime using firefox as my browser & thats the only way in can gain access to the net ! in short ive run out of ideas.i think a complete re format needs to be done..but have some photos i really dont want to loose, tried to gain access to them via the back door..i.e Nero to burn photos..& although i can see them as thumbnails cant open them up either !! Help !!

a reformat would be your best bet on geting out of this. im not sure what to do concerning the poictures you want to keep. when did all this start happening? was it fine one day then messed up the next day?

ive tried to start in safe mode...but for some crazy reason the up -down keys dont move the icon so i cant even start in safe mode

I had the same problem on my OS selection screen (i had x64 aswell as pro) and found out when i took off my overclock, i could use the keys again, so if your overclocking, try turning it down and try again....just a suggestion.

Matt

My guess is that everything is preety screwed up. I would just reinstall, however, like Matt said, Overclocking can do extremely weird and crazy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom