Can older LGA 775 mobos support C2D?

superman22x

Golden Master
I am asking for my friend, he has a del dimension 5100. It has an LGA 775 mobo, but its older than C2D. He has a pentium 4 right now, and I was saying he should upgrade his system. I said to upgrade RAM, as he only has 512mb, but could he stick a C2D in there too? maybe one of the FSB 800 ones? I am 99% sure he cant, but I thought I'd ask.

if you find out what the mobo FBS is for the socket, after you get that, then look at newegg for proc's that support that FBS of the mobo, and if a C2D has the same FBS it should work

and yea, at least but the RAM up to 1gig

I would check with the manufacturer of the board before trusting newegg. I see no reason why a 800MHz FSB C2D wouldn't work in a board that supports that FSB and dual-core, but the manufacture is always the best place to get info.

Ok, I will do a little research. And yeah RAM defenitly needs to go up. Especially cause he uses this computer for film editing, and it works fine for that, rendering times are long, and now he wants to start using adobe after effects, that takes a beastly computer...

I have some more info, it has an intel 945 chipset. And a pentium 4 531. Thats all I know though.

SOME 945 chipsets support core2's. Just browsed through Intel's site. Was kinda hoping they all would So I would have something to do with my C2D when my quad comes it (my brother has an older 945 which does not support it).

if you find out what the mobo FBS is for the socket, after you get that, then look at newegg for proc's that support that FBS of the mobo, and if a C2D has the same FBS it should work

and yea, at least but the RAM up to 1gig

You mean FSB?

For editing, just get 2GB of 800MHz Ram, and maybe a better video card like a 7300LE or something.

you could always just get him a PD if he cant use core 2 duo at lest its dual core

You mean FSB?

For editing, just get 2GB of 800MHz Ram, and maybe a better video card like a 7300LE or something.

crap, yea, thats what i meant, for some reason i was thinking front bus speed, not front side bus, speed, but other people got the point across,

it was kinda fast post since i had to leave for work, and just wanted to the post out

Back
Top Bottom