Can a laptop handle 100% gaming?

Firemedic623

Beta member
I browsed through searching the forums for a topic similar to this but did find anything that answered my question specifically. I understand you cant upgrade laptops, cooling can be an issue etc.. As technology advances I read more and more about how laptops can handle anything that a desktop these days but I am skeptical.
I have owned two laptops; 1 in 2002 and another that was manufactured in 2007. I used both for gaming and they did ok but over heating was my major issue and some memory issues. Has laptop advancement come far enough to provide a reliable product strictly for gaming with side browsing and some teaching / learning tools on the side? Any advice and / or recommendations would be appreciated.

**If I created a dead horse topic I apologize. I spent a good amount of time browsing attempting to find the question I was looking for but did not find anything very specific.**

Well, I currently modified my own Laptop(From a POS to a Gamer) and use it for gaming when I boot up Linux on my PC and turn it onto a server.

There's nothing to argue with this, obviously it's not gonna be as good as a PC because you can't put external video cards in it and so forth. Your gaming MIGHT be a little choppy but you can always update your RAM and Hard Drive.

Hell, I'd say go for it, I did.

I game all the time on my MacBook Pro with the 9600M GT. I used to own a rig with a 4850 in it as the GPU. I have to bring the res of my games down on my MBP, but it's not really a big deal for me.

So yeah.

As long as you keep the laptop on a desk (and not on your lap) you should be fine. There's always laptop coolers that your laptop sits on if it gets too hot for your taste.

It really comes down to your wallet and what you call a "laptop". But, CAN a laptop game? HELL YEA!! lol

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio

One of my room mates had one of those. Thing had dual video cards and dual hard disks (one solid state, one HDD) if I am not mistaken. It was pretty beast and played games without breaking a sweat. It was really big though...the damn power brick ALONE was bigger than an actual brick...

http://www.gateway.com/gaming/pseries.php

My other room mate had one of those. It was actually really nice. Cheaper than the Toshiba (I'm pretty sure the Tosh was about twice as expensive, actually...), smaller than the Tosh, quieter than the Tosh and also played games without a problem what so ever. He was a hard core Team Fortress fanatic and it ran this frantic game with ease.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/avadirect-clevo-d900f-core/4505-3121_7-33682128.html

Then you have this...ugly as sin, HUGE, heavy, expensive...I think it barely even qualifies as a laptop, really. It's more of a desktop you can unplug than a laptop, I think. But...it is amazing. It's a "laptop" with a full on desktop i7 Extreme processor, dual hard drives, 6 gigs of DDR3 and a gig of GPU memory, it pretty much rapes face in the laptop gaming world. I read another review of it where it was compared against other gaming laptops and it crushed them.

It really comes down to how much money you want to spend and how big of a puter you wanna lug around.

Hell...I play WoW on an HP Mini 1020NR!!

Thank you for all the answers. I almost wrote my budget but didnt lol, knew a lot would ask for it. I am looking at spending 1500$ USD. I have not had much experience with saegers other than a splint called a saeger .... so how are they compared to the other custom companys? I have purchased from cyberpower in the last 18 months and was satisfied, and IBuypower 4-5 years ago. On the topic of the cooling boards, pannels, external devices etc ... Is their a paticular one that works well? I had a 20$ one that didnt seem to help much.

How were the cyberpower and ibuypower puters? I've been eyeballin them...

As far as external cooler thingies...meh...don't leave your puter laying sunk down in a bunch of blankets so all the vents are covered or in a small computer bag for a long time and you're fine in my experiences. Just a bit of common sense goes a long way unless you have hardware issues. *I* don't worry about it. But that could be just me...

Back
Top Bottom