Can I get away with 3 only pushpins locked on cpu cooler?

David3

Beta member
I was installing my intel stock cooler on my i7 and I was only able to get 3 of the 4 push pins to securely lock into place. While all of the pins went through the board and clipped on the other side, one pushpin remains loose and turning it either way makes a squeaking sound. Its probably broken. Can I get away with only 3 pushpins locked?

Have you removed the cooler and examined the pins? Check the board too, and make sure there is nothing interfering with the socketing of the pin and/or preventing the heatsink from mounting firmly against the chip.

Whether you can get away with only three pins locked is a judgement call only you can make (you're the only one who can see things), and you are the one who has to live with the decision: if the cooler is incorrectly installed, there is a good chance your processor will be damaged in use.

Modern cpus will shutdown and or reduce clock speed before being damaged but that's annoying enough.

I don't think you want to adopt the attitude of "what can I get away with". Examine things like Dngrsone suggested and if the pin is broken as you suggest, you should look into getting a replacement pin rather than living with it and dealing with an overheating cpu.

I was kinda scared so I didnt even bother booting it up with the faulty pin, I just ended up ordering an aftermarket cooler that uses a back plate and screws. I just finished installing the cooler and placing the mobo back in my case (although some of the plastic screw threads had some loose threads because they would get tight and then loose at a certain point, but I tightened them the most I could and put the cooler on, I also noticed this on one of my mobo screws but all in all everything seems stable).

My computer has been on my desk for the past week, and im just curious if the whole static electricity thing was ok, seeing as how I was working on it on and off. I touched my case every once in a while, while I worked on it, but im just worried in the inbetween periods. Its been plugged in and the piwer supply off, except for a couple breif times of being unconnected

The heat transfer properties of the heatsink will be SEVERELY compromised. With only 3 pins engaged the heat sink will be sitting at an angle on the CPU and the heat generated will not be able to be conducted from the CPU to the heatsink efficiently. It, probably, wont damage the CPU as such but the CPU will shut down when it reaches a set temperature and that will shut your pc down.

In my opinion people tent to worrying too much about ESD (static discharge).
I rarely discharge myself before working with computers.

What is more important is how you handle hardware.
Like no fingers on the PSB, never touch the backside of a CPU, use as little force as possible when assembling. Stuff like that.

Last edited:
As implied, it is highly not recommended to keep it like that. All four pins attached insure that the heat sink's surface is in full contact with the CPU die (err, package?) to suck the heat the right way.

If the damage is in the pin, I think the heat sink or parts of it can be bought separately.

Last edited:
The OP implies that it is the pin on the heatsink that is broken in which case a new heatsink is the answer. If the hole in the mother board has enlaged and so not catching the catch I have repaired that using a washer with a suitable sized hole and a thin rubber insulating pad to place between the washer and the motherboard. You have to be careful on two counts. First the washer and the rubber must be thin enough for the securing pin to go all the way through and for the catches to actually latch. Secondly the rubber must be capable of insulating the washer from any motherboard solder points. I suppose if the pin intself has broken then a small nut and bolt would secure it again with a thin washer and insulating pad. this would have to be secured with the motherboard out of the case unless you can get at the back of the MB in situ. If it is the heatsink pin by far the easiest solution would be to buy another heat sink.

The heat transfer properties of the heatsink will be SEVERELY compromised. With only 3 pins engaged the heat sink will be sitting at an angle on the CPU and the heat generated will not be able to be conducted from the CPU to the heatsink efficiently. It, probably, wont damage the CPU as such but the CPU will shut down when it reaches a set temperature and that will shut your pc down.

As implied, it is highly not recommended to keep it like that. All four pins attached insure that the heat sink's surface is in full contact with the CPU die (err, package?) to suck the heat the right way.

If the damage is in the pin, I think the heat sink or parts of it can be bought separately.

The OP implies that it is the pin on the heatsink that is broken in which case a new heatsink is the answer. If the hole in the mother board has enlaged and so not catching the catch I have repaired that using a washer with a suitable sized hole and a thin rubber insulating pad to place between the washer and the motherboard. You have to be careful on two counts. First the washer and the rubber must be thin enough for the securing pin to go all the way through and for the catches to actually latch. Secondly the rubber must be capable of insulating the washer from any motherboard solder points. I suppose if the pin intself has broken then a small nut and bolt would secure it again with a thin washer and insulating pad. this would have to be secured with the motherboard out of the case unless you can get at the back of the MB in situ. If it is the heatsink pin by far the easiest solution would be to buy another heat sink.

Yes, the OP went out and got another heatsink; so this thread is solved.

Back
Top Bottom