Can anybody tell me how this was done?

UK31337

Fully Optimized
Hi,

Some joker at school has been playing around with settings in Windows 95. They've managed to set it so that it always shows the same username in Windows Networking every time the machine boots, no matter if the Profile folder for that username is deleted and someone else logs on.

The reason I'm concerned is because the "username" (which is fake) is offensive to me, and it seems to be permanent.

How was this done, and how can it be fixed?

Your school computer's are still running window's 95 ? .... Seems they are due for an upgrade.

Believe it or not they downgraded when the new system went in in August. Some machines have Win2k and XP Pro though.

Do you know how it was done though?

what do you mean it was offensive to you? tell your stupid cheap ass school board that you want better operating systems...i havent used windows 95 in like 5 years

My school computers have 1GB ram and 80GB HD Win-XP Pro. But the internet sucks. It's like wireless T3 or something but it's slower than cable.

::giggle giggle: tehehe windows 95 cant recognize a hard drive over 10GB unless theyre partitioned ::giggle giggle::

Ok, here's what you gotta do. First write down that username as it is.
Now you will click Start > Run and in the open box, you will write regedit and then enter. This will bring you into your systems registry.
Now, in the new window, you will click on My Computer (so it will be highlighted in blue) and then on the tab above click on Edit and then Find.
Now you will write down that name in the space provided and then click FIND NEXT. When you will find a string with the name change it to MYMAME for instance and then continue F3 to remove or rename all the offensive name. When you are done reboot, and you should see MYNAME instead. ALso check for that name in your windows explorer and in your autoexec.bat which you can open with Notepad.
Windows 95, even up to Millenium, just by simply clicking delete, you bypassed the login or screensaver, now with XP its not the case.

I tried that, nothing. Didn't come up in the registry when I searched. It was searching all parts of the registry. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom