Buying a new Monitor Please help!!

Bloodstalker999

In Runtime
Ok so I am thinking about buying a new monitor and I don't know anything to look for. So can someone please explain some specs of monitors to me and possiably recomend a good monitor for under $200USD

Thanks

I first of all recommend getting an LCD which is a given IMO, CRT's are pretty much on their way out and it's getting harder to find one. Go with an LCD because their easier on your eyes in my experience, they put off less heat, and they look good. I recommend acer for a cheap, and good brand of LCD's. You can get a 17" for under 200 bucks and I think you might even be able to pick up a 19" on sale for less than 200 bucks.
From what I've read, in a monitor you want a higher resolution. I recommend 1280X1024 for a 17" but higher is better because you'll get better quality. Also you want a monitor with a low response time, a response of about 4-8ms would be about average in a budget monitor and that's pretty good. Mine has 6 or 8 and I dont' notice any ghosting. Also one last thing to look for is the contrast ratio. some have a 350:1 ratio but I believe higher is better so look for a higher one.

Hope that helps!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001079
That one is very good looking at the specs. I'm pretty sure you can live with a monitor that is 17". Its just a tad over $200, but i hope that's okay with you. Keep in mind it has free shipping too. So you are good to go with that.
Reasons that this monitor is good is that it has DVI, and you arent just stuck with VGA. Second, the contrast ratio is extremely high, 1000:1, the response time is 5ms, so you won't see any ghosting. I'm pretty sure this is an 8-bit panel too, compared to other 6-bit panels. Very good monitor.

i have a acer 17" LCD and it is very nice it retails for 148 bucks on newegg i believe

The one you picked out is good , but the resolution is a bit odd some games might not Fit-to-screen , not really a huge deal though =/.

that monitor looks great to me! gollun56 is right about the games thing though, but it's really not that bad. I've got a friend with a monitor like that and he has that problem and it's really not that bad. You picked a good monitor!

Back
Top Bottom