Buying a new computer & would greatly appreciate your assistance

DracosisBlu

Beta member
As per the title, I'm buying a new computer. Particularly, a laptop.
Before anyone possibly suggests a desktop, I would like to buy one, but I currently have no space in my place of residence to safely house it. So I've settled on getting another laptop computer.

I'm not very knowledgeable with graphics cards and when it comes to Ghz, I assume more is better, so I came here to see if you computer experts might offer some good advice.

I'd like to game on it. I'm not a hardcore gamer in terms of playing tons of PC games. I mainly play The Sims and World of Warcraft and would like to be able to run them without issue (9 fps in ICC just kills me:( ) And I'm not a huge multi-tasker. So I'd like to know if the specs I've chosen are any good.

I decided to get a HP. Is that a good choice? I currently have a Dell Inspiron E1505.
I copied the specs I chose for the HP. Hopefully the links work.

Spec 1: dv6zse series
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&email_id=1666533&jumpid=in_r329_emailconfig

Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(TM) II Quad-Core Mobile Processor N930 (2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive: 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Graphics card: 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics
Touchscreen: No TouchScreen (includes HP TrueVision Webcam)
Primary optical drive: SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

Spec 2: dv6t series

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&email_id=1665211&jumpid=in_r329_emailconfig

Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-520M Dual Core processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz
Memory: 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive: FREE Upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Graphics card: 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics
Primary optical drive: SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
Networking: Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth

Can someone just give a brief explanation on the graphics cards if they're a good choice or bad (if it isn't too taxing on your time)?

For HP owners, is one series better than the other?

What is the whole "switchable graphics" deal? Is it literal as in I can buy a new graphics card if necessary? Or something else?

Feel free to rebuild or tell me whatever changes you make to my spec.

Thanks a bunch for any advice you can give.
-Deanna

both of them look good to me the graphics are actually pretty good for a laptop should play what you want no problem as for the processors ive heard the Phenoms arent that good as laptop processor but are good as desktop processor s the I5 is a good processor to. But as far as graphics go pretty powerful for a laptop. good choice

Back
Top Bottom