Buying A New Computer

ashpash21

In Runtime
Okay, so at the moment I am using a REALLY old computer. I am getting into playing online games such as world of warcraft, and this computer is just not good enough. I have found one on ebay that seems good, but as im only 13 I can not be sure of that. I would like to be playing world of warcraft at the same time as doing other tasks (listning to music and browseing the internet) in time I would also like to upgrade to 3 moniters. We pay for 6mb download and get about 4-5mb and get 0.5mb upload. Not sure what is the problem, the computer or the internet

Here is a link to the computer I am thinking of getting - 32Ghz 8 Core CPU - 2TB 16GB RAM USB3 HDMI HD 5830 Gaming PC Computer Tower | eBay

Well, what do you really want to do? If you want heavy gaming, then you might want (Minimum):

8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
A Graphics Card with 2GB of Video Memory or more
A 1TB Hard Drive or 512GB Solid-State Drive (Or both)
A CPU that has at least 4 Cores and is at least 2.6GHz

If you want to play regular games (Like WoW) then you might want:
4GB DDR3 RAM
A Graphics Card with 1GB of Video Memory
A 500GB Hard Drive or 512GB Solid-State Drive (Or both)
A CPU that has at least 2 Cores and is at least 2.3GHz

Technically, there isn't a 32GHz CPU, the highest speed ever made (And I looked this up too) is about 8.3GHz. The information given on the advertisement doesn't seem as accurate as it should be. The actual speed of the listed CPU is 3.1GHz, which isn't bad. In Canadian dollars, it would cost about $1,100. It also talks about a 3GHz CPU being marketed as 6GHz, which doesn't happen. If I were you, I'd look for something different. Seems a little under-priced for what it is. I wouldn't recommend what you found there, but then again, it's your choice.

You can go to the Alienware website and have a computer configured of your choice. For something really powerful, you might end up paying $2,000 or likely more. Budget should be considered.

Last edited:
Well, what do you really want to do? If you want heavy gaming, then you might want (Minimum):

8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
A Graphics Card with 2GB of Video Memory or more
A 1TB Hard Drive or 512GB Solid-State Drive (Or both)
A CPU that has at least 4 Cores and is at least 2.6GHz

If you want to play regular games (Like WoW) then you might want:
4GB DDR3 RAM
A Graphics Card with 1GB of Video Memory
A 500GB Hard Drive or 512GB Solid-State Drive (Or both)
A CPU that has at least 2 Cores and is at least 2.3GHz

Technically, there isn't a 32GHz CPU, the highest speed ever made (And I looked this up too) is about 8.3GHz. The information given on the advertisement doesn't seem as accurate as it should be. The actual speed of the listed CPU is 3.1GHz, which isn't bad. In Canadian dollars, it would cost about $1,100. It also talks about a 3GHz CPU being marketed as 6GHz, which doesn't happen. If I were you, I'd look for something different. Seems a little under-priced for what it is. I wouldn't recommend what you found there, but then again, it's your choice.

You can go to the Alienware website and have a computer configured of your choice. For something really powerful, you might end up paying $2,000 or likely more. Budget should be considered.

Thanks for the response. I thought it was underpriced when I first saw it. Im willing to spend upto 750 pound on it. Im just looking for a computer that will let me play world of warcraft maxed out on full grapics and let me do other stuff like listen to music on another monitor. Sorry if I dont make sence sometimes or understand, im only 13 :lol:

I would look elsewhere for a rig. You could get more for your money if you build it yourself.

I would look elsewhere for a rig. You could get more for your money if you build it yourself.

Would you be able to select my core componants, I would like to be able to play world of warcraft fully maxed out and have music playing on a second moniter if possible. Thanks for the response.

Thanks for the response. I thought it was underpriced when I first saw it. Im willing to spend upto 750 pound on it. Im just looking for a computer that will let me play world of warcraft maxed out on full grapics and let me do other stuff like listen to music on another monitor. Sorry if I dont make sence sometimes or understand, im only 13 :lol:

Well, then WoW maxed out, you'll be wanting something with the minimum specs:

4GB of DDR3 RAM (Most computers nowadays come with DDR3 RAM)
A dual core processor clocked at 2.4GHz or more (I'd recommend more)
At least 320GB of Hard Disk Space
A graphics card with at least 1GB of Video Memory and is multi-monitor capable

For something like that, you could end up paying about $500 Canadian Dollars (Since I'm in Canada) or about £280 British Pounds the least. You shouldn't pay more than $1000 Canadian Dollars or £640 British Pounds for something like that. Again, it's your choice, I'd actually recommend something a little more powerful than the specifications I listed.

If you choose, you can also have your new computer come with an SSD (Solid-State Drive) which is like a hard drive, but it isn't. It comes much smaller, it is much quieter and way faster than a conventional hard drive. The downside of an SSD is that they're much more expensive than a conventional hard drive and they don't have as high of a capacity. As far as I know they either go up to a maximum of 512GB or 768GB, I'm not too sure on that, but you can buy a hard drive with 4TB (4096GB) but those are also expensive. A 512GB SSD would cost around $400-500 Canadian Dollars or £250-320 British Pounds. A 4TB hard drive could cost $300-500 Canadian Dollars or £190-320 British pounds.

If you're willing, you can go to the website for Dell or HP and get a machine configured with hardware you choose. It also shows the price for what you have selected.

Don't worry about your age, I'm not much older than you.

Last edited:
I'm 13 and I built my first computer when I was 11. ;] age is DEFINATELY not a factor in computers.

Age certainly doesn't factor into computer knowledge at all. I'm 15 and I could easily build my own computer, but I don't have the patience to do so, plus I am incredibly lazy, so I'd rather buy pre-built machines instead of building them. Besides, I don't think I'd be able to build myself an All-in-one machine, which is what I intend on getting. (Dell All-in-one)

Back
Top Bottom