Building a single board computer

RoyYang

Beta member
Hi, I would like to know how to build a mainframe computer from scratch. I know this is a daunting task, but I am well-motivated. I have recently heard from an acquaintance that if you are educated, self-disciplined and know where to find cheap parts, you can build a modest mainframe for around 800-1000 dollars. I've got a website he recommended for the cheap parts. And boy howdy are they cheap.

Now all I need to know, is how do I build it, what I need and someone to walk me through it step by step.

My new friend offered to do this for me, but unfortunately, I lost his contact info. So I'm turning to some rather well-educated and talented people here in this forum.

I'm also a noob, so this will no doubt be a frustrating task for some. But i'm not hopeless, after all, how hard could assembly be? If anyone is interested, please reply to this forum or PM me and I'll give you my Skype contact info.

I got what you meant by having one hard drive and one SBC used as the "server" or main interfacing computer. But I thought that routers were only used for internet, and what exactly is a switch when it comes to talking about multiple SBCs?

From reading that article I figured out that an single board computer doesn't involve a motherboard, but that it's typically a smaller more miniature version of one with all the parts, that is then plugged into a backplane, which is from what I can tell basically a powered circuit main board that provides power to all the plugged in "cards" or SBCs, that would be hooked up to it. Do I understand the concept correctly?

Back
Top Bottom