Building PC - Windows Vista

Dogged_Puppy

Baseband Member
I am really interested in building a computer for the upcoming "Windows Vista"! I want it to be made for gaming. I want it to be able to run Shadowrun, Halo 2 (PC), Battlefield 2, Caesar IV, GRAW, ECT. FLAWLESS!!!

I also would like to wait for the 'DirectX 10 Graphics Cards' to come out before I build this PC! Does anyone know how much those will cost and when they are coming out? I know that probably nobody knows, but I thought I might just ask...

If I could get some tips or prices that would be GREAT! :)

Well, you need to tell us a price range fo how much you want to spend and if you want to go AMD or Intel. I'm personally an AMD fan and have an AMD processor even though Intel is better than AMD right now. After you tell us that I'm sure we could help you setup a nice rig. And yes you should wait for a DX10 graphics card.

Well, from the CPUs out there, a Nice Core 2 Duo E6600 will be the best CPU you have.

For a board, any Intel board will do as the CPU + board are from the same company.

I understand you for Video card. But, I have a little bit of news. The ATI R600 will suck 250W off your Power Supply.

For a power supply, a 600W model or higher is best bet, especially if you plan on buying the card.

Hard drves are much cheaper. Get 2x 120GB SATA 3.0GB or SATA II, and you will be safe.

Memory...ah that memory! Something DDR2-800 or DDR2-667 is good. Get at least 2GB (2x1GB) or higher.

Any DVD burner will work.

Any case is okay, BUT, go with a more expansive one. Cheap ones are easy to break and bend.

An get 80mm fans for air circulation. 2 in front, taking air in and 2 in the back, taking air out.

I beta tested Vista, and I'm here to tell you it's a memory hog! Very beautiful (although very MACish) O/S. Spend your money where it counts, alot of fast RAM, I'd say at least 2GB. As for a processor, I'd go with the Core 2 Duo, and you dont have to spring for the most expensive model as I've seen mid range chips OC'd to 4+ GHz on air! Case wise any will do just make sure you've got room for air to flow, and forget about 80mm fans, find a case with 120mm, they spin slower, push more air and are much quieter. I'd wait till the DX10 cards come out although I'm sure they will be quite pricey, Quad SLI should be hitting the mainstream very soon (you can already get a Quad SLI XPS from Dell) And make damn sure you invest in a QUALITY power supply, I've seen so many people spend so much money on their system then skimp on the power supply, I cant stress how important a QUALITY power supply is on a high end system. Don't be fooled by total wattage claims, they are usually deceptive and don't tell you anything you need to know. Instead, go by the total AMPS rating for each respective voltage RAIL. For instance: Your +12V rail(s) are usually the best indicator of a great supply. You want high amps, preferably MORE than 20, much more if possible if your building a power user/gamer system/SLI/etc.

Even better are supplies with MULTIPLE +12V rails. This separates the loads and the noise and effects that comes back from the loads, so that, for instance, the CPU is more stable, especially when overclocking. There are even power supplies now with 4 +12V rails, but they aren't cheap. Get a 2 or 3 rail system if you can.

Absolutely INSIST on a supply that offers overvoltage, undervoltage, overcurrent/overload, overtemp, and short circuit protection.

Get Active Power Factor Correction if you can (APFC).

ALWAYS go to the manufacturer's website(s) (some have more than one site, maybe international AND local, look at both as you might glean more info that way) and read up on the specs. For instance, what is the HOLD TIME? How good is ripple current reduced (that will indicate how noisy the signal is, too).

If your waiting that long - until Vista and DX10 cards are out (next year some time), then there is no point anyone speccing you up a PC.

So many things will have changed that there is no point TBH.

Back
Top Bottom