Building new computer; somewhat concerned

akihitochan

Beta member
My current computer is pretty nice, not gonna bother listing off all the specs but having a 500 watt power supply has worked perfectly with a good video card, 2 gigs of ram, 2 HDDs, etc.

I'm building a new one that has dual Radeon HD 3870s 512mbs, 4 gigs of ram (two OCZ Reaper sticks of 2gb each, 240 pin DDR2 1066), an ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe AM2/AMD 790FX ATX mobo, a 150g 10,000RPM WD Raptor HDD, your typical CD/DVD burner, a G5 mouse and a standard keyboard, along with a Creative XtremeGamer sound card, and a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Dual Core Processor.

It's going in this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103014

The power supply I ordered said it was CrossFire ready and such, and is 750watt. I was looking at the same cards on an AlienWare computer earlier today to compare how much money I was saving and it said you had to have a 1000watt power supply to run them. Now I'm nervous cause my order has already been shipped. Anyone know how much power I'd be needing?

the case is kinda cheesy in my opinion, but thats just my 2 cents. i hate to say this but you may want to go intel and get c2d e8400. those oc to 4ghz easily. god i hate saying that (im an amd fanboy), but intels oc so much better. i have the athlon 6000+ and its great, but for $20 more than what I paid for it, I could have had an overclocking montster...still a good build though. oh and 750 watts is plenty, 650 is fine for 2 8800gts' in sli, so two 3870's in crossfire should be fine. as long as you have enough leads.

750 watts should be plenty alien ware just wants your money. i have an 8800gt and 2 125 watt cpu's and 4 hard drives and my puter only uses like 750 watts out of 1100 watt psu i bought.

750 watts should be plenty alien ware just wants your money. i have an 8800gt and 2 125 watt cpu's and 4 hard drives and my puter only uses like 750 watts out of 1100 watt psu i bought.
I was considering that case but it looked kind of cheaply built

thanks a bunch guys, i'm a bit more relaxed with my purchase now. the case does look a little cheesy and it's definitely not as solid as my antec case, but i live in southern california in an ancient house with no air conditioning so the fans really appealed to me. heat has been a real pain in the past.

You'll be fine with a 750W Power Supply. That's actually more than you'd need with that setup.

Good luck with your build, and don't hesitate to ask us build questions!

Chris

Alienware is owned by Dell. That should be enough to let you know that a 1000 Watt "requirement" is bologna.

Back
Top Bottom