Building my first PC

dancingmadrb3

Baseband Member
Hello I might be new here but I have used computers for about 10 years now and well maybe its time I built my own computer as opposed to buying one from HP or Dell.
I plan to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 as I have used Linux as my main OS for time now and am only adding in windows 7 for netflix/blu ray support.
I am not a gamer so I dont need any fancy GPU's but I am building a media center type computer here.
I already have chosen my case:
Here
my DVD drive:
Here
and my PSU:
here

But I am still considering my motherboard.
Now as for my CPU I am going to go AMD, considering they are cheaper and in some cases better then their intel counterparts.
I am not interested in the i7, I am not interested in heavy gaming, I just want a system that will give me the most bang for my buck as this is a budget build.
So for budget computing intel is out, the i3 falls short of many of the AMD's I can buy and most of the lower end Intels are really just wimpy but more expensive versions of their AMD counterparts.
Unless I spend $130 for the lower end intels I am not getting much out of them and for about that kind of money I can get a Phenom II x4 that would perform much better anyhow.
So for me AMD is a winner concerning the lower end budget market.
But I am having issues with what motherboard I should buy, I am on a budget here so most motherboards over $110 are out of the question.
Now I have decided to go with DDR3 for my memory now that its mostly affordable, but I also need a mobo with onboard video as most video cards out there are over $30 and that will go over my budget if someone suggested a $110 motherboard without on board video.
I am considering the Athelon II quad core CPU, it seems to be good for the price I can get it for and I am really not interested in overclocking...
I just need a fast CPU as this is a computer that will be used for multimedia playback and recording.
so there you have it, I just need motherboard suggestions as most of the hardware I can get I know is in good shape but motherboards are a market I am not that sure of.

Back
Top Bottom