Building my first computer

Neb

Beta member
I am building a computer that I will use mostly for gaming. This will be my first computer build so I really don't know what I am doing but here is what I have so far.

Case: Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX

Motherboard: Ideas?

Video Card: Newegg.com - MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM: I want at least 6gb what do you suggest?

Power Supply: ????

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CD/DVD: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Disc Combo Model iHES208-08 LightScribe Support

I am not to sure about the video card but I would like to run new games on at least high graphics settings. And if you know of anything that would be cheaper and give about the same result please let me know I would like to spend less that $800.

Any particular reason you are wanting to stick with Nvidia? IIRC, the 6870 outperforms the 460.

Just buy from Newegg. They are usually the cheapest place, they have great customer service, decent shipping, and have always been where I have ordered for my computer business.

Also, do you need an operating system? Remember to get a 64 bit OEM if you do. Look on Newegg for a monitor...I can recommend one in a bit if I remember to check back. Asus and Acer are both great brands for monitors.

I assume that you are talking about the video card. I guess if your suggestion works better and it's only about $25 difference after rebates I should probibly get that one. And I can get any Microsoft software other than office for free because I am currenlty in college getting a comp sci degree and they give that stuff out to us.

I assume that you are talking about the video card. I guess if your suggestion works better and it's only about $25 difference after rebates I should probibly get that one. And I can get any Microsoft software other than office for free because I am currenlty in college getting a comp sci degree and they give that stuff out to us.

Good deal on the software. I don't have real world comparisons for you, but just googling a bit it seemed that the 6870 did better than the 460. It's honestly up to you. You can wait for someone to come by and prove or disprove me as well. Makes no difference to me. I just have always felt that you get more bang for your buck from ATI, and the card is a good one.

Have you checked out the Antec 902 case?

I think it looks loads better than the 900. Almost the same design except it just looks a bit cleaner, and the inside and back are painted black.

On the 900, the inside and back are just gray.

Back
Top Bottom