Building budget PC for LOTRO

sicnor

Beta member
Hello

My old PC (that I gave to my sister) runs LOTRO great. And I want to build something equal, but with a dual core processor.

Are there any sturdy mobos that support AGP 8x/4x AND support either pentium or AMD dual core processors? If so, which are the best for the best price? I really don't want to spend more than $600 on this machine.

Thanks for looking

Why would you want AGP?

Is that $600 including a moniter, speakers, keyboard, mouse?/

Or just the PC it self?

Assuming it's just the PC itself then... I'd recommend a skt 939 system just because it'd probably be cheaper than if you were to go with a Core 2 Duo system, people posting after me could correct me but i'm too lazy to look up prices
AMD 3800+X2
Corsair Value RAM 1xGB
nvidia 7300GT
asus a8n motherboard
any 250gb hdd
case of your choosing
400watt powersupply.

This build would be assuming that you built the computer.
If you aren't building the computer, Dell has great package deals including LCD monitors and dual-core processors for around 400 dollars, of course it'd be smart to upgrade them a bit and get away from integrated graphics and aiming for 1gb RAM, but yeah, my two cents.

[edit]
here's a link to a decently priced dell laptop
http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/hot_offers_dt?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
you might want to upgrade the videocard yourself since the options they give you are very limited, you might want to get a 7300 or 7600gt, just a suggestion, it also comes with a 17inch lcd so i think for 450 dollars it's a decent buy.

Why would you want AGP?

Is that $600 including a moniter, speakers, keyboard, mouse?/

Or just the PC it self?

I want something AGP because

a) I have a graphics card I want to salvage, and its being used right now on my old computer, and it runs LOTRO really really well. I'm just building basically the same computer because I know it will run great.

b) agp mobos are cheap nowadays, and im looking for one that supports a good single core or dual core processor

Assuming it's just the PC itself then... I'd recommend a skt 939 system just because it'd probably be cheaper than if you were to go with a Core 2 Duo system, people posting after me could correct me but i'm too lazy to look up prices
AMD 3800+X2
Corsair Value RAM 1xGB
nvidia 7300GT
asus a8n motherboard
any 250gb hdd
case of your choosing
400watt powersupply.

This build would be assuming that you built the computer.
If you aren't building the computer, Dell has great package deals including LCD monitors and dual-core processors for around 400 dollars, of course it'd be smart to upgrade them a bit and get away from integrated graphics, but yeah, my two cents.

do those Dell computers have AGP slots? and can I really upgrade them? A while back I heard that dell glues in/puts glue in their computers to prevent upgrading and make you spend more money

also, its just the PC, I have all peripherals I need (to try to save money)

do those Dell computers have AGP slots? and can I really upgrade them? A while back I heard that dell glues in/puts glue in their computers to prevent upgrading and make you spend more money

i see, well it's difficult to upgrade cpus on dells but the videocards are easily replaceable, i've done it before. well if you really want to save money and use the agp slot, www.newegg.com should have a selection of agp compatible skt939 motherboards available. right now i'm guessing that the parts that i picked out for you would come out to about 500-600 dollars, no more than that though, granted, you aren't limited to my picks :D

the cheaper dells (i have a 2350 from the year 2003) has no agp only pci, and nothings glued, but it just seems that way because they have really weird setups. they got cheap with the fan and put a channeler from the case fan to the heatsink, the ram i could remove, the disc drive and the hard drife are a pain in the fucking ass to get out, i had to bend the case to get the cd drive out, i havent even tried taking out the mobo yet.

Back
Top Bottom