Budget pc upgrade.

Wherewolf?

In Runtime
Hi all!

I'm new here.

My very old dinosaur for a pc is really outdated as you can see.

At least as far as for the cpu = AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @ 3.0 Ghz.
An Infinity NF 4 SLI motherboard and 4 gig of Kingston Hyper X PC 400 DDR RAM.

I mostly use the computer for surfing the net ( of coarce ) + some minor photo editing and playing a seriously modded Oblivion and sometimes Skyrim.
I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit btw.

My power supply = Corsair TX 550W. Antec P 180 B case with 3 x 120mm Noctua fans and a Radeon HD 7850 video card. 2 x WD Raptor 10.000 rpm hdd's.

This is the stuff I am considering:

CPU: AMD A6 6400K Black Edition

Mobo : Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600MHz

Any suggestions or thoughts about this upgrade?

My max budget are = 282.37 USD
Or 206.99 Euro.

Later on, I will replace one of my WD Raptor harddrives for an SSD drive too.

Last edited:
That APU won't be very good, and you can get a better motherboard for less money. Also when you're APU gaming it's almost a necessity to have fast speed RAM, 1600mhz is not enough.

So here's what I recommend to you.

CPU- AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AMD Radeon HD 8670D - Newegg.com

Motherboard- MSI A55M-E35 FM2+ / FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C11D-8GXM - Newegg.com

All of this is about $282. :lol: How did that turn out so good?

Hi!

Thank you very much for the suggestions! They all look very nice.

I just wanna add, that I wont be using the integrated video chip in the APU but my Radeon HD 7850.

Thanks again.

Ok. Looks interesting both these suggestions. I will look into them and decide if I should go for AMD or Intel then?

Most helpful!

Thanks for taking the time to help me. :)

If you only have up to $300USD then I'd be going the AMD route or keep saving and you can get something that's even better..

No problem! That's why I'm here. :D

I'm going for the FX 6300, the gigabyte GA 970A mobo and the Corsair RAM you suggested.

I'm glad that helpful people like you are around in the forums.

I have been away from the PC hardware scene during a couple of years by now and have'nt much of a clue about the new stuff.

Then forums like this and people like you are a real assett for people in my situation.

Last edited:
If you only have up to $300USD then I'd be going the AMD route or keep saving and you can get something that's even better..

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I think an AMD upgrade will give me the best bang for the buck I have. I have had AMD stuff the last 6 years in 2 different computers and they have worked well for me.

Yeah, you are right about saving up for something better. But I have allready stalled too long upgrading my old box. I should have done this at least 2 years ago.

And as I'm not into the latest and most graphics intence games or really serious photo editing. I think I still will be satisfied with this budget upgrade anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom