Broadband

Brookfield

Golden Master
I know that most, if not all of you run broadband, as do about 85% in the British IIsles, I am one of the 15%, [you probably guessed that!]
With all the many advantages of b/band, are there any disadvantages?.
When friends have asked why I still have narrowband, I say that it's because I don't need to hurry, but I can see the other side of the coin, using the phone while online, etc, etc.
Are some Company's better than others?, I run Wanadoo, which is excellent, & they do one, also will I have to do some adjustments to my system, or will it be compatible as it is, XP Home, AVG anti-virus.

Maurice.
closed-topic.gif

There aren't really any disadvantages, no.

I'd advise you don't get a broadband package with a limit though, because the most annoying thing that could occur is for you to download 2gig of data (even from surfing web) and it'll cut out saying you can't use it anymore.

There are so many companies its hard to really say whos best and whos not, though I've heard Wanadoo are alright, and they do do a Broadband package, though I'm not sure if it has a limit or not.

As for the question about adjustments, the answer is no.
The company should give you a new card for the faster speeds which should just plug into a PCI port, and everything then should go fine.

Since you are running on a rather slow connection at the moment, going with 1mb would be alright for you, and since the speeds are increasing now, it shouldn't be that expensive either.
You won't regret it though. Theres nothing better than downloading something, and it only taking a few minutes to download a large file.

All you have to worry about then is your hard drive space limit :p

I hope this helps.

Maurice said:
I know that most, if not all of you run broadband, as do about 85% in the British IIsles, I am one of the 15%, [you probably guessed that!]
With all the many advantages of b/band, are there any disadvantages?.
When friends have asked why I still have narrowband, I say that it's because I don't need to hurry, but I can see the other side of the coin, using the phone while online, etc, etc.
Are some Company's better than others?, I run Wanadoo, which is excellent, & they do one, also will I have to do some adjustments to my system, or will it be compatible as it is, XP Home, AVG anti-virus.

Maurice.
closed-topic.gif

here in the US, we have different companies that offer broadband: earthlink, SBC Yahoo, roadrunner (cable), verizon, etc. from what i've heard so far, roadrunner is the best one.But this is in the States, i can't help you with the British options. sorry
:(

The only disadvantage would be that u are more likely to get a virus/hacker on ur computer.
But aslong as u have a decent firewall u should be fine.

And as for the speeds, I'd suggest a 1mb one.

Back
Top Bottom