both CD Rom drives will not work

not$So$shabby

Solid State Member
both CD rom drives on my computer will not work. They light up, disk trey can eject and reject, but there is no Drive letters assigned to them in 'My Computer', and there is no CD rom drives installed in device manager. This problem is after a long battle with multiple trojans that left my computer in a semi vegetative state, but I've managed to get it running with integrity. A couple dll errors remain, that I'm willing to overlook, I just need an operable CD Rom drive. A start to finish approach would be appreciated, assuming I don't know where to begin... (Windows ME)

Oh... well not with xp. Well, anyways..
Im not sure. I would say look on the internet for the drivers. But is it possible that in the bios, the cd drives have been cut off in anyway. sorry im going to head to bed. But i cant solve this anyways. Goodnight.

just to fill you in, I have looked for drivers, but i can only find a firmware update for my Samsung SW-212, no bootable disk drivers. I should also mention that the other generic cd rom drive is broken because I tried prying it open with a fork for some reason. That cdrom drive still lights up, but the trey is half out of the computers body, wont go back in because of damage I may have caused. But still, system will not detect either cd drive. Samsung is the only one I can get working, but really lost as to where to begin.

Also, under 'Hard disk controllers' in device manager, Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) has a (!) on the icon

this has happened to me before, try unplugging the front usb ports from the motherboard and see if they appear after that

Back
Top Bottom