Boot Problems

woadie_efv13

Beta member
After many hardware changes to the overall system, I am still unable to fully boot my PC. Everything in the system is new; motherboard [Soyo KT880 Dragon2 v2.0], hard-drive [60GB IBM IDE], RAM [Crucial 512MB, DDR, 400Mhz], CPU [AMD Athlon 1800+ 1.53Ghz], Powersupply [Antec TruePower 2.0 530W], and case[Antec P180 Advanced Super Mid Tower] -(everything)-. The system will turn on, however, immediatly after the BIOS (it is assigned to boot from the Windows XP Pro disk in the DVD drive) it goes to a black screen. The disk can be heard spinning in the DVD drive, but there is no activity on the screen whatsoever. If anyone has had any experience or a suggestion, please reply.

Thanks spank,

By "drive", I assume you mean the dvd drive. We have swapped the dvd drive with another that works, and tried a couple of different XP cds. We also have tried a 60GB IBM IDE drive that was working in another computer when we took it out, as well as a 74GB 10k rpm WD SATA drive that is brand new.

Mike.

Yeah, I meant the DVD drive. This is an interesting problem. Are you sure that the BIOS is set to boot from the DVD drive before the hard drive?

Yeah, the DVD drive is set to boot before the hard drive. It is an interesting problem. We (m25443 and myself) have been working on it for a few weeks and still haven't come up with any solution.

Have not tried the floppy. We have tried booting from dvd and a hard drive that has XP on it.

Will try it and see (although it has been years since I used the floppy).

Mike.

I had similar issues with my ASUS P4P-800 mobo system, win XP has a set of 10 or so 1.4Mb disks that you can download and use to boot the system into a Win XP install. Might be worth a try. Worked for me.

We have found the problem. We decided to test the system with another motherboard, and strangely enough everything works fine with an alternate mobo. We're going to check the warranty on it and get a replacement. We would like to thank everybody for there support in trying to help us with our problem.

Back
Top Bottom