Blue Screen of Death/Empty desktop/Help

MAYHEM

Solid State Member
Hello guys, I'm new to the site... I guess there is always a good time to register to a good computer forum website lol, to bad it had to be because I need some help badly.

So this is what's going on. A friend of the family called me and told me he was having some computer problems, he told me his step son got on there and whatever he did he caught the blue screen off death, after that the computer wouldn't get passed the blue screen of death no matter how many times he restarted the pc or anything so he decided to call me because I know a little about computers. I tried restarting it and booting in safe mode and nothing still got the blue screen of death... I called one of my friends he knows way more than computers than I do, in fact he was a computer service tech for circuit city a while back, anyways he pretty much told me wipe it and don't even bother lol, so I was like ok. The owner of the computer doesn't want to loose his pictures and stuff, because they're family pictures of the babies and such, so when my friend came by we opened the desktop took the hard drive out and hooked it up to mine to so I could transfer the pictures to my desktop and burn them onto a cd then wipe his hard drive, but it wouldn't let us access the main folder of his hard drive where everything was, it said "access denied" and some other stuff on the error message. So my friend said since both desktops are windows xp home edition, hes going to try and copy a few things from my windows folder i think to his to see if it fixes the blue screen, which he did... Then we put the hard drive back on the desktop and the blue screen of death didn't come up anymore, it did a consistency check or whatever then went to the screen where you type in your password, I did but now there is a bigger problem i guess, there is NOTHING on the desktop except for his desktop pictures of his kids, no icons, no start menu, no NOTHING... Everything is inaccessible, the only thing that comes up it's a message saying "internet explorer encountered a problem and has to shutdown so send the report error or don't sent, so I send and then there is a link that says "for more options go here" or something around those lines so I lick it which it's the only way to get on the internet. i tried going to microsoft.com to download service pack 2 and it ask to download active x, but the active x doesn't come out... So I tried downloading service pack 2 from a different site and active x from mydownloads.com but when I go to download it gives me a error message saying the security setting won't let it download, it's just a mess... I tried to go to my emails so I could maybe email myself the pictures and i can't even log into my emails because cookies are not enabled, and If I go to tools then internet options or whatever nothing comes up... I tried burning Service pack 2 onto a dvd and pop it in and nothing it's just crazy, so I was wondering if anybody had some tips in what to do.

First thing to do is go in to Task Manager and click New Task, then type 'explorer' and hit enter. That should start up Explorer, at least. Then, use a portable flash drive to back up all the data that they want saving and reinstall XP from scratch, if possible.

Well, I know how to get explorer to start, but I can't figure out how to do anything else... And what are you talking about a portable flash drive?

I wish i could man, but I can't do nothing... I have an ipod but nothing opens it's ridiculous.

Anybody else got any other suggestions?

See if it recognises an additional hard drive? I know that there is a program out there that you burn to a CD-ROM and can use to recover data from a hard drive, but you'd need a second drive to copy it to. Other than that, the only things I can really think of involve the loss of all that data :/

Back
Top Bottom