blue leds for inspiron 1300?

danagol

Baseband Member
hello, my warranty has long run out on my dell notebook and i am a bit boared of the cat-eye greenish colou power led's. has anyone ever opend one of these and what type of led is used. if it is a smd (surface mount) then i shant bother, however if it uses standard 5mm or 3mm i am ok with this, as i have 2 5mm blue leds. i want one in the processing light (the one that flickers when doing work i mean) and perhaps one for wireless light. and i want to use a nice amber colour for power perhaps!

any help is appreciated, thx dan

Im going to guess at this..

I would say that with Dell is surface mounted LED's. Just because Dell HATES when people are smarter then their technicians and can mod their own computers. Thats why things are locked i.e. BIOS.

Anyways, to tell you the truth, I really wouldnt risk it on the laptop, however a PC is a whole different ballgame.

In yourcase (well more like if I were in your position) I would give it a go. Just because I love to do things like this.

Soo... It really shouldnt hurt to keep it off, open it up and have a looksy. Might even learn a few things. But dont be dissappointed if you cant install the LEDs.

But another idea is to drill some holes under the keys (depending how many 'mm' the keys push down. But you would be able to light up the whole bottom of the keyboard with two 5mm's. Or even have it underneith the computer so it glows out from undernieht it. Maybe out the fan grill, or something of the sort.

Be sure to add pics *if* you do decide something.

thanks for the info! ill open it up and take a look, if its too hard then ill put the cover bk on and leave it! dnt wana damagw my comp! not too rich at monent and it is like 50% of my life! lol

Anytime man. I wouldnt worry about damanging about the working ability of it. However you may crack the case, strip a screw, or any number of cosmetic things.

But then again, it could be totally fine and you might be able to do anything you would like.

You just never know.. But its always fun to try!

you could just try putting a little piece of saran wrap with a differrnt color over it

ArrizX said:
Dell HATES when people are smarter then their technicians
that's true! but then again, I think that just about everyone is smarter than their techinicians........ I've never had such bad support, those guys are idiots and they don't do ANYTHING if it's not on the script which is dumb to me. Yes I know they have that system for some dumb reason..... but I don't see how it can help get problems solved. yes maybe basic ones like "my computer won't turn on"

lol there servive is terrible i agree, i might pass on the tape idea ;)

though if i coud use the tape idea inside, ie place blue tape between led and interior of lens then tht would b ok i think! alot cheaper too lol. but then i still have no amber power light! plus nothing compares to blue leds!

troy272 said:
that's true! but then again, I think that just about everyone is smarter than their techinicians........ I've never had such bad support, those guys are idiots and they don't do ANYTHING if it's not on the script which is dumb to me. Yes I know they have that system for some dumb reason..... but I don't see how it can help get problems solved. yes maybe basic ones like "my computer won't turn on"

Heh... Yeah. But if you play your cards just right you get a service guy out to your house with a brand new part, or you just get the new part sent too you.

Lol ive played them for both :D

danagol said:
lol there servive is terrible i agree, i might pass on the tape idea ;)

though if i coud use the tape idea inside, ie place blue tape between led and interior of lens then tht would b ok i think! alot cheaper too lol. but then i still have no amber power light! plus nothing compares to blue leds!

No...... Lol its either all out or nothing. No half assed tape :p

But definetly go try it. You seem rearin to do it, so.. goodluck and hope it turns out for the best. However you have an older laptop, I presume. So maybe things in it will be alot more 'simplier' then the newer ones, and you will be able to replace the LED's.

how old is the inspiron 1300? i have only bought it bout 10 months ago, but never looked into when it was released!

i want the laptop xps!!! a dream come true (but must say not impressed with 12 innch screen :( would prefer same size as mine!
also is there any safety tips anyone can give me, like any nasty charges left in capacitors? or static damage to components?

EDIT: just opend it up for a look, i didnt even have to open the casing more than 1cm to find those dumb little smd type led :(

still determind though, might buy some and see if i can use a pair of tweezers to hold it in place while i solder!

Back
Top Bottom