Blank Screen

Toby1

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem...

All of a sudden my work computer will not boot up (works in safe mode however). It gets past the Windows XP Pro blue loading bar then the screen just goes blank. Any ideas? It also says something about not being able to find a RAID controller now if that helps.

I have gone into device manager and checked the monitor settings, all apperas to be working. I have also ran Spyware Doctor 3.5 (all updates) in safe mode, it found no spyware, viruses, etc. I also ran an online virus scan with bitdefender, it came up with a few, but nothing unusual (and has since got rid of them anyway).

I am at a loss.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Toby.

I installed Nod32, but I have installed it before with no problems (and I have since uninstalled it, as I thought it would fix the problem but still doesn't fix anything.)

I noticed in the BIOS that the hdd rpm was going, but it said that the power supply and something else was at 0? Would that have anything to do with it. And yes the internet still works fine, but my printer drivers have gone.

Well, by the sounds of it, it's a display problem.

When you monitor goes blank, is it as though it is in a 'standby' mode. Its sounds as if perhaps someone has either tried too high a resolution that your monitor might no be able to cope with (hence the blankscreen) or perhaps too high a refresh rate(same symptom).

It could also be a Driver problem, but lets just try the resolution and refresh rate 1st.

OK, go into safe mode again.....
Once loaded, go into the device manager.....
remove any monitors in the monitor section (note, DONT remove any display adapters).....
now restart normally.

It will reinstall the monitor automatically, however, I cannot remember weather it will go back to it's previous settings or not. I'm hoping it wont. If it does, do the above again, but then reinstall the Monitor through the add new hardware wizard, and select 'Default Monitor'. Once you have did that, select the resolution in safemode then restart.

Once In normal windows again, go to the Display properties in the Control Panel (or right click the Desktop) and open the 'Properties' box on the Resoultion/colourdepth screen. Click on displays, then click on the button to upgrade/update/change (not sure the name of the button) Display. Following the instructions, make sure it installs 'Plug and Play compatible'.

Now, change your resolution and colour depth accordanly.

If none of this works, try removing your Display Adapter from the Device Manager in safe mode, then restarting. You'll need to reinstall the drivers though from normal Windows.

Hope this helps.

Hey Connchri,

I tried looking for any monitors in the device manager and I cound't find any...?

I did however notice something though, in the Other Devices tab, in says I have no RAID controllers, and I tried reinstalling these drivers, but had no luck. Also, when I boot up, it says IDE 1 - 0, IDE 2 - 0, IDE 3 - 0, IDE 4 - 0.

Toby said:
Hey Connchri,

I tried looking for any monitors in the device manager and I cound't find any...?

I did however notice something though, in the Other Devices tab, in says I have no RAID controllers, and I tried reinstalling these drivers, but had no luck. Also, when I boot up, it says IDE 1 - 0, IDE 2 - 0, IDE 3 - 0, IDE 4 - 0.

Hmm, there should be Monitos listed somewhere, try the removing the display adapters instead then. It would revert the Monitor to low resolution anyway. Also, Unless you have a RAID set up (I'm guessing you don't) it's nothing to worry about. Some drivers/hardware software (I'm guessing the stuff your on about was installed along with the motherboard software, such as Via RAID tool) have a habit of moaning even though there not in use/setup.

Try removing any display adapters instead then, and restart. I need to go, so i'll reply tomorow.

Sorry Connchri,

I mean't that all of my IDE's are "disabled", rather than at "0".

I don't want to mess around too much with this, as it's the computer I use at work...

Maybe I should call out IT guy in, but then again, I don't want to get in trouble with him either :p.

But it shouldn't matter if windows is still loading up. Your RAID drivers should not play any part in the screen going blank. The fact that Windows is still booting means nothing is up with the RAID array. Perhaps you have one set up and you may not access the data on them, however when a motherboard has a built in RAID support it usually has two independant IDE/SATA sets of controllers. One set is definatly working if windows is up.

Back
Top Bottom