Big TV Screen - Low Res

DarkDragon7099

Baseband Member
hey, I have a 23" TFT TV Screen, it has all those things to connect to like S-Vidio, audio, etc at all it's like 20 different plugs for different stuff, lol
Right now I'm using a 15" CRT Screen and I'm thinking about buying a 17" TFT one, I know that the appropriate resolution for a 15" screen is 1024x768 and for a 17" 1280x960, but when I connect my laptop (15") to the TV by either S-Video or the normal monitor cable (dunno the name), the 1024x768 resolution on the TV looks like the 800x600 on a 15" screen, so I changed it to a 1280x960 and it looks nice now. I was just wondering how can it look "normal" at 1280x960 on a 23" screen when it is normally used on 17" ones? someone told me that's because TVs are low resolution and so even DivX movies look like they have better quality when played on TVs :S
I was also wondering about something: In about a year I'm moving back to my home country where we have a bigger TV (although it's not TFT) so the screen will be given to me to use on my computer.
My question is: If I only use that screen (I'm thinking about using both the 17" one and the 23" one) how is the computer gonna know what resolution is aprropriate for it? I think if I connect it with normal screen cable the computer will be able to detect it but is it possible to use S-Video if you only have one screen and that screen is connected by S-Video?

thanks in advance

I use my 9200 with TV-ut and connect them with AUX and in the TV settings in the control planel for the card is OVERSCAN which just fits it to the size of the screen

Best i can do

I wasted a lot of time with tv out,now i concentrate on the higher resolution of PC monitors.Get a 19 " CRT
But you can check with ATI on this.I think they got to 1024 x 768 svhs with this.It's not HDTV.

If your using Svideo, your resolution is going to be around 720x480 REGARDLESS of what you set your computer to. If you want it to look better you need an HD TV or something and the cables and all to support it.

Yes, you can do tweaks and all to make it look better, but your still limted to your resolution. Set it to about 640x480 to get a pretty clear picture. Still fuzzy because of deinterlacing and all(or, interlacing your uninterlaced screen ;P)

The_Other_One is correct on this..TV resolutions are much lower than computers and there is really nothing that can be done about except to go with HDTV and in which case the tv will be compatable to your computer screens resolution.

Back
Top Bottom