Big Question for a Big (And Expensive) Dream...

Bloodrust606

Beta member
Let's pretend for a moment that I was filthy rich, and that the deepness of my pockets did not reflect the power of a system I could build. Let's say I was to purchase a server motherboard with quad cpu sockets. Of course, fill those up with whatever processors were compatible with it... fill up the memory slots with oh-say... about 18gigs of DDR2 ram. Dual, maybe even four 8800's on an SLI configuration. Several terabytes of hard disk space... you get the idea. Now let's say I was to use this server-ready power for doing nothing more than running Windows and going to town on the latest video games, rendering self-made 3D models, downloading the newest music and movies, and playing them all at the same time... would that be possible at all? I know that with Windows XP, the OS can support only a certain amount of memory... cpu power... etc... I'm sure the same can be said for Vista. What's the most powerful system I could build, how.... etc... Would one be able to use server components as a PC, keeping in mind that power and heat wouldn't be an issue?

Power and heat wouldn't be an issue if you configure your fans right. Your power would be about 2-5 kilowatts. You would want to use Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit addition. The hardware would be awesome, but sadly enough the software hasn't caughten up to the hardware and won't for about another 2-3 years. So yes it is possible, but will software take full advantage of it? No. Still an uber system to brag about.

Why would you want to listen to music, play movies, and game at the same time? o_O

Something like isn't even possible yet. There is not quad SLI setup. Nvidia is still working on three card SLI.

Back
Top Bottom