Better Upgrade Choice?

fuego42

Beta member
What would be a better upgrade for my computer, a Phenom II X4 (3.2 GHz), or a GTX 285? I plan on getting both but I want to get one first before the other.

My current system runs an 8800 GT and an Athlon 64 X2 (2.6 GHz)

ohhh
well you got a good board
i would get the CPU first
more info moving is better then more visual horsepower
then get your card
that way your GPU wont lag or stutter much due to not enough info from your CPU

Yea, grab the CPU first. You can take advantage of the higher through put and performance of the AM3 chip.

You really won't need a GTX 285 for that resolution. It would be a wasted purchase. I don't want to offend you. A Core 216 would do you wonders.

Currently the best Core 216 deal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434

A new processor would be a smart investment. You could get the GPU first and see how that treats you. Games still do very well with a dual core. You could upgrade to a quad down the road whenever it becomes a necessity.

Phenom II X4 (3.2 GHz)
The new 955, right? :D

Like Rohan said, you don't really need a GTX 285 for 1680x1050, you're not playing at a particularly high res.

Perhaps you could draw a line between the two and go with both a new CPU and a new GPU. The X3 720 BE and a GTX 260/HD 4870 perhaps?

The new 955, right? :D

Like Rohan said, you don't really need a GTX 285 for 1680x1050, you're not playing at a particularly high res.

Perhaps you could draw a line between the two and go with both a new CPU and a new GPU. The X3 720 BE and a GTX 260/HD 4870 perhaps?

lots of good advice in this thread from rohan and worshipme...

So the 285 is overkill... Alright thanks guys, I guess I'll go with the processor first. On a final note, what ATI card can I get that would run most games today at max settings at 1680x1050 (not talking crysis). I think I'll do that so if in the future I get a bigger monitor I can just stick in another card and run crossfire.

Back
Top Bottom