best linux

dickibobboy

In Runtime
well i have a pc what has no operating system on, the oly reason it is like this becasue i tried to intall windows 98 on and there was an error and not it says that, i have windows xp light what i have tried to put on and it wont boot from the disc but it has done before as i have installed it before on there, so i am going to give linux a try on there, what and where is the best place to get it?

Hey! Good to hear someone is switching to Linux! The distro I use, and highly reccomend , is SuSE Linux . It is quite user friendly and very full featured. BUT (in my experience), you will need at least 256MB of RAM for everything to work smoothly. If you give me your system stats, I can help you decide on a distro that will run well with what you have. Another great distro for beginners is Ubuntu . Both of these distros I recommend have LiveCD versions so you can easily preview them without installing. Have fun with Linux! :D

thanks for the post,
my specs are very small but
128mb ram
3.2GB HD
dont know much else about it sorry i got it from someone a couple of years ago

Ooo, those are low specs... but no problem, Linux runs great on a varity of hardware. Since your RAM is fairly low, you may want to give Debian a try. Debian is a great system and isn't too memory hungry. Or Slackware, which may not be directly meant for older hardware, but still runs well on older machines. I know I have given you alot of info, so I reccomend you try DEBIAN or SLACKWARE first. If you don't like Debian, give slackware a try, if you don't like either, PM me and I will be happy to help you! And remember, almost all linux distros have great community support so look into some forums if you need help setting up either distro. I hope this helps! :) Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom