Best Laptop Upgrade

ace777

Fully Optimized
What would be the most you would do to upgrade this computer?

Compaq CQ50-139WM laptop

Intel Celeron Processor 575
2.00 GHz, 667MHz FSB, 1MB Cache
2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Expandable up to 3072MB with 2 accessible memory slots
15.4" Diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display
Viewing is enhanced with the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (shared) with up to 765MB Total Available Graphics Memory
160GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)
Store all of your digital media on this expansive drive
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic with Service Pack 1
Makes your computing experience more efficient, more secure and more fun
SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW drive
With double-layer support
Additional Features
HP Imprint finish & Integrated Microphone
Multimedia Drive - with Double Layer Support
Display - 1
Network Card - Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Option - 802.11b/g WLAN, Audio - Altec Lansing
Fax/Modem - High speed 56k modem
Keyboard - 101-key compatible
Pointing Device - Touch Pad with Touch Pad with dedicated vertical and horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad
External Notebook Ports: 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
1 Headphone out
1 microphone-in
1 VGA (15-pin)
1 RJ-11 (modem)
1 RJ -45 (LAN)
Security - Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
Power-on password
Accepts 3rd party security lock devices
Power - 65W AC Adapter
6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

Please don't say get a new one, this is very cheap and I can drop about 200 additional dollars into it. What upgrades would you recommend. And what is the fastest processor that I can put in without it causing heating issues on this laptop. i like the GFX card and the HDD could use more space but I can live with it. Also what OS should I install on this Windows 7 or XP here, thanks :D .

Sadly, the only thing you can do is up the memory to 3GB. 98% of laptop computers have their cpu and gpu integrated into the motherboard. The only way to upgrade past the memory would be to buy a new laptop.

:( Thats sad, I have traded out CPU's before and was hoping it would be the same on this one. Ahhhhhh oh well I was getting it cheap so It can server me well as is thanks..

Yeah, that is actually not a bad laptop for just everyday computing. You could upgrade the hard drive to a 7200rpm drive to get a little snappier performance. Even if you could physically upgrade the cpu, the dimensions and factory cooling would not be able to handle the increase in heat.

"I think the CPU is not soldered. Here is the Service manual:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01529106.pdf
pp 82 and 83 detail replacing the CPU. "

Thats whay I found on another forum, if the cooling is an issue is there anyway to better the heatsink and the fan? I just need a dual core and it would seem that it would really help in performance. I just want to play ancient PC games like Halo and AOE and Starcraft.

You are correct! You can use a T3400 Pentium Dual-Core 2.16 GHz. I wouldn't use anything past that because of heat dissipation.

Also, if you look at the specs closely you will see that the GMA4500 graphics uses 768MB of the memory. This means that if you bump it up to 3GB you will still have 2GB left to use for apps or games while the graphics is using up the other 1GB. This would surely help out when playing games.

Here is a link to the t3400.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=T3...af9c91b6459bcdf41edb4778f7d1b6dc7b8e809160807

That will work just fine. The difference in 3.0 and 1.5 is related to the speed of the hard drive. The 7200rpm drives will all be 3.0Gb/s whereas the 5400rpm drives will all be 1.5Gb/s due to the limitation in how fast it can pull data off the platters at the given rpm's. You will definitely be able tell a difference in using the 7200rpm drive.

you could transfer to a 7400rpm HDD of what-ever size
and you will see an increase in performance
ive used Max Blast by Maxtor to transfer my info from one HDD to another
it works on Seagates and Maxtor HDDs (i think)
but at least in this way you could keep all of your info

i had this laptop 2 years now,im using it right now!!it has 4 gb of ddr2 800 up from 2gb of 667. and just replaced cpu 4 hours ago with a new t6670 core 2 duo.plus windows 7 ultimate 6 months ago. new 7200 drive is 50 dollars on newegg.not yet i have 298 laptop 53 for cpu new on ebay and 55 for memory.thats 406.00 not bad. wish i could find a mobo that fits cq50 series laptops with better graphics or slot for card even better.have to keep looking and reading.as far as cpu go i think you can go t9300 plus.ive read where people are using high end socket p cpu's.

plus cpu runs 1200 mhz most time with step down energy save plus runs cooler than 575 and battery life doubled and its 45nm.

Back
Top Bottom