Best laptop deal?

Yay!

Beta member
Im going off to college soon and need a laptop, I want the most bang for my buck since I am paying for it myself and my minimum wage job provides me with money I hold onto dearly. If there are any exceptional deals out there that anyone can tip me off to, that would be GREAT! Thanks!

Would you consider getting a netbook? They're small, lightweight, have amazing battery life, and cost very little.

I bought myself an Eee PC 1000HE model for $350. It lasts me 10+ hours, runs every program I throw at it for school work, and is very portable and lightweight.

Just a thought..

Chris

Im going off to college soon and need a laptop, I want the most bang for my buck since I am paying for it myself and my minimum wage job provides me with money I hold onto dearly. If there are any exceptional deals out there that anyone can tip me off to, that would be GREAT! Thanks!

Well, consumer depot has their Acer Aspire One for $189, its pretty cheap, take a look!

Well, consumer depot has their Acer Aspire One for $189, its pretty cheap, take a look!

Acer aspire one for 189$ you say? which one is it? If it's the one with the 8gb ssd that probably wouldn't do well in a college environment once loaded up with programs. Just a thought

at bestbuy you can get a laptop with a pentium dualcore, 3gb ram and 250gb hdd for about 450$ which blows the performance of a netbook out of the water. I'm not talking about a specific laptop though there is like a whole page that are in that price with roughly that spec. if you are going to be taking a lot of notes a netbook will feel very cramped when typing for a while.

My range is pretty much between 500-800 dollars. I want at least a dual core. Preferably intel. I also want a webcam because i think it would be nice to talk to all my friends i wish to stay in contact with who are going off to college same as me. I have been looking at this one which seems like a good deal. I really appreciate all the opinions, i will consider every one of them for sure.

http://electronics.hsn.com/gateway-15-6-lcd-dual-core-3gb-ram-320gb-hdd-laptop-computer-with-webcam_p-6013710_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=6013710&sf=ec&attr=50&ocm=EC|50&prev=hp!sf!50&ccm=EC|50

Acer aspire one for 189$ you say? which one is it? If it's the one with the 8gb ssd that probably wouldn't do well in a college environment once loaded up with programs. Just a thought

at bestbuy you can get a laptop with a pentium dualcore, 3gb ram and 250gb hdd for about 450$ which blows the performance of a netbook out of the water. I'm not talking about a specific laptop though there is like a whole page that are in that price with roughly that spec. if you are going to be taking a lot of notes a netbook will feel very cramped when typing for a while.

Performance-wise, there's no comparison between a good laptop and a netbook. However, for the college student, I feel that it works perfectly. Lightweight, extremely long battery life, and very cheap. I think battery life and weight are the biggest pros (For me, they were my deciding factors). I usually take only the netbook to class; it makes for one lightweight experience. Not having to carry around the power brick/look for an outlet is alone worth it.

My range is pretty much between 500-800 dollars. I want at least a dual core. Preferably intel. I also want a webcam because i think it would be nice to talk to all my friends i wish to stay in contact with who are going off to college same as me. I have been looking at this one which seems like a good deal. I really appreciate all the opinions, i will consider every one of them for sure.

http://electronics.hsn.com/gateway-15-6-lcd-dual-core-3gb-ram-320gb-hdd-laptop-computer-with-webcam_p-6013710_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=6013710&sf=ec&attr=50&ocm=EC|50&prev=hp!sf!50&ccm=EC|50

Looks like an interesting buy. To add to my advice, I'll go ahead and add in this: I have two laptops and one desktop I use at school. You could say that my advice to get a netbook is somewhat skewed since I only use it for classwork and surfing in my room. I use my desktop for games, bigger programs, music, videos, etc.

In your case, it sounds like this will be your main computer in college. If this is true, I'd recommend skipping the netbook and going for a nicely loaded laptop. If the battery life isn't great, invest in a second (or bigger) battery; it'll come in very handy.

HP Laptops are great; check out their website and spec a few for yourself to your price range. Dell and Gateway have a good selection, too. Just spec a few and see what you like in terms of design, features, and pricing. I'm sure people will chime in and recommend more options.

Also, check out www.newegg.com, as well as stores like Best Buy and Costco. They have great deals on notebooks.

Chris

Specs on that look pretty decent. Try to read all of the reviews; contains lots of useful information. Looks like a few people complained about the partitions of the HD, the lack of a Windows CD, and lots of bloatware. Doesn't sound like a HUGE problem, but worth reading/looking into.

Price seems decent, too.

Back
Top Bottom