Best GPU?

Trainzer

Baseband Member
Graphics: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family <Integrated>
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D 915
CPU: 2.80GHz
Memory RAM: 1.00 GB (MAX: 2 GB; Speed: PC2-5300 MB/sec)
System Type: 32-Bit
Modem: 56K bps date/fax modem
Computer: Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC
Full Memory: 250GB

Yes, those are my speculations for my family computer. It is the only computer we have. It was built in 2007, and has all the newest drivers it can have. It is a Compaq Presario SR5233WM.

As you can see, it is in no shape to allow simulation of detailed (Over 1,000,000 polygons) rail infrastructures. It's Operating System takes all of the RAM and the Simulator is CPU dependent and requires a 1GB of free RAM. See my avatar for a common high detail locomotive I like to run. The resolution is at 1440 by about a 1000 pixels. It includes scripts.

Not a good situation. The RAM situation is being taken care of as we speak. I have ordered some 800GHz RAM that will upgrade to my computer's max of 2GB of RAM. However, I wanted to replace my GPU with something preferably lower than $150.00 and with 512MB or more of on-board RAM. My computer has a PCI-Express slot, and here's the report of further details from Compaq since I know I have not and cannot provide the necessary information.

Hyperlink to Compaq Information

Note, you can find my motherboard information and other speculations via the link.

So, I ask, what is the best GPU I can look at that meets my criteria?

Cheers,
Joshua

foothead,
I had Direct X 10, is that okay to use with the ATI 5750/5770? Funny, I was just looking at those cards after reading a bit about them on my simulator's forums.

By the way, what is CUDA? :eek: (Yup, I might Google that one.)
Nevermind, I forgot! Hehe, no, don't mind! I only have one graphics card slot anyway!

Cheers,
Joshua

DX11 is a free download. The card will also support DX 10, and 10.1

Keep in mind that the 5750 has no software voltage control, so for overclocks above ~900MHz, you will have to do a hard vmod (I just did it to mine)
Reference 5770 models do have soft voltage control, so its a lot easier to get high overclocks on them.

foothead,
Don't overclocks cause heat? I don't know if I can afford to do that since we can have dust problems. Every two months, we have to dust out our computer from the amount of dust it collects causes it to run crazy at simple computing! Of course, I would take extra precautions to dust the computer our more and more if I have an overclocked graphics card.

I almost forgot, what power supply does the 5770 need? I only have 300 Watts.

Cheers,
Joshua

You will need a new PSU then.

There are very few good cards that could run off 300w. I suggest 450-500.

Get some dust covers for your fans. Its just a little grille that screws onto it.

OCs do not cause heat if you keep the voltage the same. When you bump the voltage, more heat is produced.

Minimun 450 watts. You'd be safe with a 500w or something in that range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Of course, PSUs can be future proofed. If your going to add video cards, overclock, or transfer this psu to a future build...I'd go up to 700w range. A little more investment, but like I said, they do last a while. I still have a PSU from a computer I had 10 years ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

EDIT Stay away from the cheaper PSUs unless you buy them in store. If you buy them online, OCZ, Corsair or Coolermaster. But if your in store, a good way to tell if it's a good PSU is by its weight. Find the heaviest PSU at a particular wattage and that's probably the best one. That's what I was taught

foothead,
I want to say right now, you are awesome. I am going back and forth with you, and you are being more helpful then the months I've been researching this! :D
Okay, what type of PSU would you recommend for my computer? Do you need anymore information before the recommendation? This is a slight set back. I have to be very careful during this upgrade, it's a family computer, and if I screw up, the whole family is coming with all it's power against me. ;) I am very positive I can do anything here since I've wrecked a half-a**ed Windows NE Professional computer by disconnecting things and reconnecting things. Somehow, I did this on carpet and stacked everything like the most stupid computer geek and only caused a problem on the Graphics card for it. Hehe, static charges are suckish, but the card didn't even have memory and the fan was the size of a modern processor. It wasn't a loss.

So, back on topic, I have researched PSUs while looking at Graphic Cards just in case, and it looks like it paid off; however, paying off that price tag is much different then the idiom. Especially when only earning about $180.00 a month as paperboy.

Cheers,
Joshua

Back
Top Bottom