Beeeep...CLICK.

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
ANy idea what my laptop was doing. There was what seemed to be a beep from the right side of the case, then the harddrive clicked(nothing too out of the ordinary, you know how laptop HDs tend to click now and then...) That as it. It seems to be fine. I ran a few things to make sure the HD was still going and it was fine too. Loaded this page without a problem.

I was brushing my teeth at the time and not using the computer. It was sitting idle on the desktop connected to AC.

Averatec 3270
Sempron 2800
512M DDR
Hitachi 60G HD
Windows XP Home SP2

Hmm... It seems like it could have just be a one off.
No idea what that could be.

Maybe BIOS will have the answer though. Does it have anything about making it beep if it notices something up with the hard drive or anything?

Hopefully its not that, but just a precaution

My dads laptop doesn't beep, but if I have my personal hard drive plugged into one of the USB's and its plugged into AC power, the computer hard drive will click once every 10 mins or so, and the computer would hold while this is happening, but then carry on fine.
No idea what it is when it happens, but the laptop seems okay.

Maybe the sound wasn't even linked to the beep? You never know... lol then again, I'm giving you something else to worry about then.

I can't find anything within the bios or the manual about beeps...

I know these harddrives click every so often, I guess it's that beep that preceded it that bothers me more htan anything as I don't know what it was. Eh, well I plan to try and use this machine more to make sure it's ok. It's got to be perfect when I take it to school.

-edit, about 1 second after the post :p-
Just did it again...

Hmm... you connecting using a modem that might be beeping or something? Or the speaker in the computer might be malfunctioning... thugh its funny it happens exactly before it clicks lol. Also, is everything plugged in? All the cards and that correctly?

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. If your taht worried though, buy an external USB hard drive or if you have a USB music mp3 player.
Drag files off, and you could use this to access files as backups just incase the worse happened. Or even a USB pen drive

Though laptops hard drives do seem to click though, not with a beep usually though lol... Don't know what to say about that

I've planned to use an SD card to keep my stuff on, so I should be fine with documents and anything else I can cram on a 256M card... I'll probably have my desktop with me too, or much of the time...

Yeah, just be careful with it.

By any chance can you enable SMART in bios?
It makes the drive a tad bit slower at accessing though checks it almost all the time for any errors and brings them up in case its on its way out or something.

Hmm...maybe your drive or bios doesn't support it then. Oh well... it just would have been useful

Display the info? Like errors and that?

*shrugs* SMART was one good thing my old machine had... But not even my abit seems to have that support either.

I can post a pic, but everything is perfect. Nothing's even close to being in the "warn" area.

Seems fine then. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

As for the bios. What bios make is it using?

Back
Top Bottom