Badly in need of help

pncl321

Beta member
I have recently purchased a e-GeForce FX 5500 DDR 128 MB pci Graphics card. The problem I'm having is that I can not get it to work correctly on my pc.

I have a Dell Dimension 2350, a very nice comp. :rolleyes:

It has a Pentium 4 cpu 2.20 GHz
768 mb of ram
200 or 250 watt power supply, don't know which
and an onboard intel extreme graphics card

The problem I'm having is that I can not seem to get it to work. I have tryed alot of things. I try to install the new card and uninstall the onboard and disable it. But the problem I keep getting is that the computer reads that both cards are present but when the 5500 is enabled the screen res won't go past 640 x what ever and the color won't go past 4 bit. So I don't know what to do. So Im not able to play any games and it is like I dont have any graphics card present. Please help me if you have any ideas on what to do.
thank you

Yeah, the reason it wouldn't go past 640x480 is because its relying on the inbuilt VGA drivers, and not the ones specced for your card.

So yeah, Ronco Rox has a link that should get you the latest driver.

Simply run it, and then restart when completed.

Also, if the onboard chip is properly disabled in the BIOS. You shouldn't get a warning saying its not installed.

Thanks.
Can someone tell me how I would disable it in bios, becuase I've heard that I should do somehting with that, but I didn't know how.
Also should i disable first then install the driver from the link.
And ya I did install the driver from the cd.

Well get into BIOS by pressing Del at boot up (if its something else, it should say at the bottom of the screen while its finding all the memory/drives, etc)

You then from one of the menus (first 3 I should think, though I can never remember the exact one), should find an option with Onboard Video, which you should be able to hit enter on and disable.

You then just hit Escape to navigate back to the first and hit Save and Exit, and hit Y on the keyboard to accept the changes.

NOTE:

Yes, you should really do this before installing the drivers for the new card, or it might get confused.

Thanks for the update.
When I went to BIOS I was'nt able to find anything telling me I could disable my onboard gfx card. But I found something saying about switching the primary video adaptor from onboard to auto, so I switched it to auto.
I then proceeded to disable the onboard in device manager. Then turned off my computer and installed the new card. Then restarted and as I was waiting for my computer to turn on the screen just stays black. So the screen is totally black, but i know my copmputer is on because I can hear the backround sounds and windows turinging on.
I am able to fix this problem when I take out the card.

So im back to square one, any ideas?

right now is your monitor plugged into the videocard or the motherboard?
if drivers for the vid card are in.. it should be working.

Make sure the cable then its plugged into the video card.

It seems that it is now disabled, so you are getting no output through the motherboard connection.

Back
Top Bottom