Bad RAM, MOBO, HDD, PSU or Processor? A little diagnostic help, please.

defl8or

Baseband Member
Is my BIOS gone?

Hi, I recently bought a new motherboard/processor/ram and installed them in my old case with my old power supply, graphics card and drives. (All makes and models at the end of this post) Upon trying to start it up, I got the blue screen of death and tried reinstalling windows XP, which solved the problem. (I took out one 4GB stick of ram prior to this install, so I can't rule out bad RAM as a cause of the earlier problem) I then decided to install windows 7 64 bit to take advantage of the 8GB of RAM that came with the board. The install worked fine and the computer was usable for maybe 20 minutes before I got the BSOD. I couldn't even reinstall off the dvd as I was caught in a never ending loop ending in blue screens every time. I'd heard of sketchy RAM causing such problems, so I took out one stick and it all worked fine. To see if it was the RAM or the socket or MOBO, I tried the other stick, which also worked fine. Either stick worked in either socket, but not both together. (They are the same make and model and both came with the board) Anyway, I checked the Bios version of the MOBO and it was over a year old, so I thought I'd update on the offchance that that would fix my problem. I downloaded the latest version and used that neat little EZ Flash (or whatever it's called) that Asus has to update my bios. I ok'd everything, then got a screen asking if I wanted to use the default bios settings, or something. (I think it was "enter bios and screw around" or some shiz) I figured the default would be fine and I would come back to it later if needed. Anyway, the computer booted up fine and was working normally so I powered it down to put in the other stick of RAM. Now, when I try to power it up, the power comes on, but that's it. The monitor doesn't power up, there's no hard drive activity going on, and I can't even turn the computer off without ripping the power cord out of the back. I tried going back to one stick of RAM, but the same thing happens and all I can think of is that somewhere I missed saving the new BIOS and now it's blank. However, if there was a message asking if I wanted to save the new BIOS, I know I would have clicked yes. I'm sure there was such a message, but I don't remember. So now I seem to have a braindead computer. Any suggestions?

Oh, the new MOBO is Asus M5A78L-MLX V2
The processor is an AMD FX-4170 (If I remember rightly) the RAM is 1333mhz DDR3 but I can't make out the model or manufacturer.
If it matters, the old stuff already in the case is an ATI HD 4600 Graphics card, a WD 10,000rpm 78GB Raptor hard drive (And I've had 3 of those die on me) and some random power supply that I think is good for 750 watts.

Ok, any help would be great. Now I'm just off to check the SATA cablecus I just realised I ain't done that yet.

Re: Is my BIOS gone?

I don't know what the original problem was. Like I said: I tried each stick individually and they were both ok by themselves in either slot. I'll try it now with a stick from my old board if the new board is compatible with it. It's DDR2 and I think it's around 800mhz so maybe not...Any ideas wht the new problem is? erased BIOS?

Nope. Different slot. Won't fit.

Last edited:

If it was an erased BIOS, the computer wouldn't have booted up fine after updating the BIOS.

Ok, I also tried swapping the SATA cable to the hard drive just in case, but no joy.

If there was no software in the BIOS, then the computer will turn on, but all the components will sit there sucking power, and making heat, but not doing anything.

90 % aggree with OhSnapWord with the RAM.

In my veiw it might be a fault on the motherboard.

I thought it was fairly safe to rule out the RAM as either module worked fine by itself no matter which slot it was in. Still, I guess that could be a problem with the board. I guess this is what happens when you buy stuff bundled on Ebay and the company selling it makes such a big deal out of how they have "set everything up" for you. If they think spreading a little thermal paste is technical, then you probably can't expect them to use compatible RAM. I checked and the RAM included is not on the list of compatible RAM in the MOBO manual. That isn't to say it is incompatible, but you'd think they'd heed their own advice. Either that, or the guys putting the stuff together are swapping out the RAM for cheaper modules and selling the originals seperately

Ok, I tried it with new RAM and still nothing. The computer is not sending a signal to the monitor and the hard drive does not appear to be active at all. I'd automatically think it was the hard drive, but I'm still leaning towards the Motherboard as it's the new link in a chain that was previously fine.

Hi, I recently bought a new motherboard/processor/ram and installed them in my old case with my old power supply, graphics card and drives. (All makes and models at the end of this post) I then decided to install windows 7 64 bit to take advantage of the 8GB of RAM that came with the board. The install worked fine and the computer was usable for maybe 20 minutes before I got the BSOD. I couldn't even reinstall off the dvd as I was caught in a never ending loop ending in blue screens every time. I'd heard of sketchy RAM causing such problems, so I took out one stick and it all worked fine. To see if it was the RAM or the socket or MOBO, I tried the other stick, which also worked fine. Either stick worked in either socket, but not both together. (They are the same make and model and both came with the board) Anyway, I checked the Bios version of the MOBO and it was over a year old, so I thought I'd update on the offchance that that would fix my problem. I downloaded the latest version and used that neat little EZ Flash (or whatever it's called) that Asus has to update my bios. I ok'd everything, then got a screen asking if I wanted to use the default bios settings, or something. (I think it was "enter bios and screw around" or some shiz) I figured the default would be fine and I would come back to it later if needed. Anyway, the computer booted up fine and was working normally so I powered it down to put in the other stick of RAM. Now, when I try to power it up, the power comes on, but that's it. The computer is sendin no signal to the monitor, there's no hard drive activity going on, and I can't even turn the computer off without ripping the power cord out of the back. I tried going back to one stick of RAM, but the same thing happens and all I can think of is that somewhere I missed saving the new BIOS and now it's blank, which doesn't make much sense as it was working fine after I updated it. I've tried dismantling/rebuilding. I've tried using only essential hardware, I've tried swapping RAM and tried new RAM. I've tried removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes, I've swapped SATA cables even though the only thing that makes me suspect the hard drive is that it's a 10,000 rpm WD raptor and I ALWAYS suspect those. Taking it to a tech is a waste of money, since just about any part is cheaper to replace than what those guys charge just to open the case. Any Ideas?

Oh, the new MOBO is Asus M5A78L-MLX V2
The processor is an AMD FX-4170 (If I remember rightly) the RAM is 1333mhz DDR3 but I can't make out the model or manufacturer.
If it matters, the old stuff already in the case is an ATI HD 4600 Graphics card, a WD 10,000rpm 78GB Raptor hard drive (And I've had 3 of those die on me) and some random power supply that I think is good for 750 watts.

Just removing the battery will not clear the cmos try removing all power and the battery and holding down the power button (if you cant find the clear cmos jumper). Some motherboards are pretty picky about ram also mem test would be another thing i would try.

Back
Top Bottom