Audio Stuttering [IRQ Conflict?]

matius

Baseband Member
Win XP, 3Ghz Processor, 2GB RAM

I installed an Audiophile 24/96 Soundcard, and will occassionally hear stuttering in audio playback. That can be if I'm writing a track, listening to an mp3 on iTunes, Windows Media Player, Quicktime or the Internet.

It's especially frustrating as this is a new computer. I've gone through a bunch of articles to tweak XP for audio, but obviously, still won't do the trick.

I was also reading about IRQ conflicts. What's the best way to check and/or find out if this is a problem? How can I know if this is the issue? Any other suggestions???

Thanks!

Type of headset/speakers you are using? is the Card plugged in all the way? make sure it is securlely in the slot, make sure you have up-to-date drivers also, make sure speakers/headphones are securely plugged in.

Drivers? check the drivers. Update them.. if the same.. use old ones.. !

What type of sound card is that, if its not onboard sound?

I've never heard of it though...

Chances are, if its anything like onboard sound, its doing the same thing because the CPU's working, and so cutting out sound.
Thats if it shares resources like onboard does.

If so, I'd advise another card.

matius said:
Win XP, 3Ghz Processor, 2GB RAM

I installed an Audiophile 24/96 Soundcard, and will occassionally hear stuttering in audio playback. That can be if I'm writing a track, listening to an mp3 on iTunes, Windows Media Player, Quicktime or the Internet.

It's especially frustrating as this is a new computer. I've gone through a bunch of articles to tweak XP for audio, but obviously, still won't do the trick.

I was also reading about IRQ conflicts. What's the best way to check and/or find out if this is a problem? How can I know if this is the issue? Any other suggestions???

Thanks!

I have the same card.

Since you are running it at an extremely low latency which means a small buffer. When you fight for pririoty on a bus and dont win, their's no infomation going to the soundcard so you get no sound.

So you can increase the buffer in your delta control panel, this helps. Also not running multiple things at the same time helps.

I also HAVE NEVER had the card jump or skip in a professional audio application (Ableton Live, Soundforge, Adobe Auditon, etc)

Actually, latency is set to 1024...to me very high.

Out of curiosity, do you have an AGP or PCI graphics card???

This is a PCI Sound card. Here's a pic:

large002694.jpg

Yup that the Audiophile, but could their be a conflict between it and a PCI graphics card?

Maybe if in the BIOS they are set to use the same IRQ. Try to find an empty IRQ for the sound card to use, and that should solve any IRQ conflicts present on your system.

Go into Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, and then View and Resources by Type.

In Interrupt Request, look for the sound card. Does it have the same number as anything else?

Back
Top Bottom