ASUS Laptop overheating

shakey1991

Beta member
Hey guys I have owned an ASUS K53SC since January 2012.

It ALWAYS runs ridiculously hot, which is ironic because one of the advertising features is "IceCool".

It is almost too hot to touch, even the keys are quite warm.

I have checked to see if there are any programs which would be using lots of the CPU and as far as I can tell there aren't.

The CPU (Intel Core i5 2430M @2.4GHz) has been running at an average temperature of 95 degree celcius, as has the motherboard(ASUSTek Computer Inc. K53SC).

The harddrive has been running at a constant 43 degrees celcius.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Do you typically use it on a flat surface? Laptops depend on ventilation from the bottom so it's important that the vents on the bottom are completely unrestricted.

If you have used the laptop for any period of time placed on a surface such as a blanket or carpet it's possible that the fan and shroud have bee clogged up with lint and the laptop may need to be disassembled to completely clean the lint out.

It's possible that the thermal grease between the heatsink and cpu has dried out due to running hot so that may need to be cleaned out and new thermal grease applied.

As a temporary measure, you could try using one of those laptop coolers that fit under the laptop and provide extra cooling.

If the laptop is still under warranty, I would contact ASUS tech support about it and make sure it is not a known issue.

Yes I usually use it on a flat surface, though not on carpet just my desk. I have sitting it on a box so the fan vent has more ventilation but still the same effect.

If the thermal grease has dried out due to it being hot wouldn't that only delay the problem if I get that re-applied?

Are laptop coolers ok to use? I remember when all those coolers for Xbox360s were out which actually melted the inside of your xbox despite being advertised to cool down the xbox.

It's not under warranty which is why I came here hoping to figure out a few solutions which wont cost me money because I'm a student.

Try blowing the dust out of the vents with a can of compressed air. It probably sounds like the fan is screaming yet there isn't a lot of air moving out of the vent.

All laptops are designed to run cool enough without the aid of separate laptop coolers. (not the real answer to your problem)

Does the CPU fan run all the time? this would indicate vent blockage or poor thermal contact.

Strollin & Snapword answers would be ideal remedies for you.

Cheers.

If the thermal grease has dried out due to it being hot wouldn't that only delay the problem if I get that re-applied? ...
I didn't mean to imply that the thermal grease was the reason why the laptop is overheating but that, as a result of the laptop overheating, the thermal grease may have dried out and need to be re-done.

If the thermal grease is properly applied and system temps are maintained in the "normal" range, then the thermal grease should not typically need to be re-applied.

Back
Top Bottom