Apple or PC - who has experience w/both?

ranger4735

Beta member
I need a new laptop and was recently steered into looking at the Apple G4. It's small, light and I have heard a lot of good things about it, but I have never used an Apple/Mac, let alone thought of buying one. I use my laptop for business (I do training and PowerPoint presentations on the road) as well as a personal computer.
My questions are:
1. Will it (A G4) plug and play with my WiFi home network?
2. Will it plug and play with the Ether 10/100 LAN at work?
3. When I swap files (.ppt, .xls, .doc), will the files have to go thru some conversion process either way, or will it be transparent that I am using an Apple instead of a PC?
4. Any problems in general interfacing with the other PC's in the office?
Has anybody had any experience along these lines?
Thanks!
Kim

what is most important?????

Kim,

I am just a 17 year old boy who happens to have experience with both, windows xp and Mac os x (windows & apple). It is hard to say which one is better for you? Here is what I think of both.

MAC:
I have had my iMac 17" with a Dvd burner for almost a year and with no prior knowledge to Mac computers, i am able to create and burn dvds. If you are wanting to create movies from you home video or anything else, a Mac is where you want to go.
Windows has taught most people to think different, mac teaches you to think basic. Everything is just click and drag.
Apple computers never freeze! Unlike most windows computers, when I want my computer to do multiple things, it does. I can burn a cd or dvd while I search the internet, or run any other program without having to worry about it freezing up. They will also go into a standbye mode, and stay that way until you want it to come back on. Many windows computers will run a fan every once in a while.
Never have to worry about viruses.

Windows:
I am always having problems with my windows computer. It constantly freezes. Though it does a lot of different things, creating DVDs, presentations and other things are just DIFFICULT. I am on my mac way more than the windows cpu.

Answers to questions:
1. I am not sure, but my guess is you could get "base station" to change your wireless to cable right next to the computer. I dont have experience with hooking it up to a wireless network.
2. Yes, It will have a built in ethernet adapter. Very easy, just plug in and it will work. No messing around with configurations.
3. No, you can by Microsoft Office for Mac. I have it and i prefer the mac version although practically identical.
4. We have a network in our house, we are always swapping files between the mac and the windows computer. Very easy to do. If you know how to set up a windows for a network, the mac wont be hard to do.

If I had to choose between a new apple or windows cpu, I would choose hands down the apple. Always reliable, no surprises popping up, and a friendly, easy to use interface. If you are worried about using a mac, the best thing to do is go to a retail store that sells a lot of macs and tell them to give you a tour around all the things it can do. :)

about wireless connection

I went to apple.com and looked at some info on the wireless technology. Here is a link that shows about the wireless technology on a powerbook:

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/wireless.html

The iBook (cheaper laptops) don't come with a built in Air port extreme card, but you can put one in.
The Powerbook (more expensive, better options) comes with the Air port extreme built in. The Air Port extreme can recognize both 802.11b and 802.11g along with bluetooth. So you should be able to get a mac laptop hooked up to a WiFi network. If you have any other questions just reply back.:)

apple sux go with a pc
apples are slow
pcs are fast
apples are expensive
pcs can be built for like 150
need more
pm me

If you never have had a mac dont get one. PC's are fine. Get an Alienware sentina or an area 51m.

An alienware will totally kick apples behind.

airiox said:
If you never have had a mac dont get one. PC's are fine. Get an Alienware sentina or an area 51m.

An alienware will totally kick apples behind.

yeah, but alienware costs about or even more than apple.....and its for mainly for gaming...so it really depends on what you need....

alvino said:
yeah, but alienware costs about or even more than apple.....and its for mainly for gaming...so it really depends on what you need....

Well they do make laptops that arent for gamingbut for home use.

I guess I have changed my mind actually. To some degree atleast. You can get some cheap apple laptops that are great. I have OSX 10.1 and with panther/tiger you have a lot more compatibility with windows. It still will be more of a hassle if you are mainly in the PC realm.

The lowest priced home office use alienware, called the sentia starts at 1600 while you can get an apple ibook for as low as 1100.

Its all a gut decision. If I could I would run an apple system. But thats not possible.

Back
Top Bottom