Antivirus and Anti-Spyware Program

MDS1005

Baseband Member
Just wondering if I should run an anti-virus program AND an anti-spyware program on the same system, or is it better to get a program that just does both.... Talking freeware here if possible. Right now I am using AVAST! free version. Is this enough for virus protection AND spyware protection? Or should I get a separate spyware program?

You need one of each. If you have a program that does spyware and virus, still get a second anti-spyware program.

Unless I misread the download page for Ad-Aware free version, this program also does virus scanning? Will this interfere with my current anti-virus, AVAST!? I've heard that conflicts may arise when running two anti-virus programs on the same computer.

Okay, after re-reading the Ad-Aware download site, let me just make sure I have this right. They offer Ad-Aware 2008 Free, and Ad-Aware 2008 PLUS for free through some offer.... Ad-Aware 2008 Free would just be the spyware program, and Ad-Aware PLUS would be with integrated virus protection?

Yes, you are correct. Ada-Aware Free is just the anti-spyware program, Ad-Aware Plus includes anti-virus protection.

I personally use these:

-Spybot Search and Destroy
-Comodo Anti-Virus
-Comodo Firewall w/ Defense+
-CCleaner

These working together keeps my computer clean and safe.

Some tips:
-Disable the HIPS Application Control as it gets very annoying and is unnecessary. I only used it when my computer is slow.
-Keep the Defense+ and Firewall on Training Mode or Clean/Safe PC mode. I sometimes keep it disabled (when playing games) as I know the chances of a virus are virtually 0.
-CCleaner is just there lol. I use it to get rid of "dumb" registries (haven't needed it lately)

Back
Top Bottom