Another XP installation error... :(

dont worry lol I wasn't interrogating ya....just checkin right ok so its legit ..so basically whats happening is youve booted up the cd and restarted pc to run and it wont run?

I know you werent but MS might be listening :p. This is what happens:

I boot up PC.
I boot to XP CD.
It loads.
I agree to the EULA and partition the HD etc.
It copies files.
It says 'Restarting comuter in' then counts down from 15.
The computer restarts.
I hit 'delete' to enter BIOS.
I set the HD to first boot priority.
Computer restarts.
Attempts to boot to HD.
Then it says something along the lines of 'Insert bootable media into drive or restart computer and change boot order'.
I save changes and exit.

And thats it, it just stays there.

don't do that, just let it boot into the setup. By changing boot priority, your stopping it form being able to boot from the cd that's in the drive. Window isn't done setting up, it needs to install, and to do that, it needs to load up after it restarts ur computer. Just let it load, don't change boot priorities and just let it do it's thing.

Right what you probably need to do is just let computer run its course after restarting beacuse by going into BIOS your just starting process over again...if that dousent work might I recommend you try save what you got on your com and do full reformatting of the pc and start from scratch..but if you just let it run without entering bios with disk in it should be fine..

Okay, I'll try that. Do you think i should put the priorities as HD then CD or CD the HD? Thanks very much for your help everyone.

Just set it to CD then HDD, and let it run its course. Leave the BIOS alone till ya have a clean OS installed and your actually in windows. Once there, ya can then change boot order to save boot times. Also, can you get past where it checks your hardware now??

Yeah, I can. Made a very stupid mistake: didn't wait long enough :p

Just out of interest, once the CD part has completed and the system restarts is the rest of the installation based on the HD or the CD?

Once the installation files are copied from the CD, then its all HDD based, i believe, but it doesnt harm to leave the CD there until its all done. And ya dont need to alter the boot order either, coz if you dont press a key to boot from CD, it will automatically use the HDD anyway.

Back
Top Bottom