AMD vs Intel CPUs

Atreyix

Solid State Member
Alright... I've searched up.. and researched this ideal alot.. And I just want the facts right..

What is the EXACT differences from AMD and Intel CPUs? Which of these two are better for which type of environment of use?

I know it really is based upon the architecture of each brand.. But what is the real deal?

Well both of are them are very good. AMD CPU's tend be much cheaper than Intel's, Intel's CPU's offer better performance and that's they will cost a lot more to buy.

The EXACT difference would be a long post.

But they got different architectures. Intel uses LGA and AMD uses pins to connect the CPU to the motherboard.
They also uses different sockets and they have different way's to mount the CPU cooler. also they have different chipsets.
you properly already knew all this.

which of them is best? well, It basically comes down to price/performance.

Intel at this point is considered by most to be the best CPU in most cases. Servers, Gaming Rigs, Workstations and most general use.
Someone here might disagree. but you can't deny that Intel have the better architectures, and they have dropped allot in price after the launch of sandy bridge.

I am an Intel fan. but i am not a fan of the fact that Intel changes sockets all the time.
That's one of the best things about AMD in my opinion. They don't change sockets too often. So i can keep the motherboard for longer.

To me AMD is more of a budget CPU at this time.
Hardwarecanucks.com agrees. they have this continuous article each second month that talks about which CPU's they recommend for different price points. AMD is usually only recommended at the very lowest prices.

As BikerEcho said he prefers Intel and so do I because of the performance, I do have a laptop running AMD and 2 desktops both running Pentium 4's and majority of my computers have been Intel..

AMD's are better because Intel sucks!! Screw Intel and stick it to the man! AMD FOR LIFE!!
:angel: :rolleyes: :angel:

But seriously, it really comes down to the price/performace thing that people have pointed out. AMD's tend to be "budget" build CPUs but for most "general" use there probably isn't really a difference when comparing similar level cpus.

Side by side, Intels generally win, but you pay more for it. Asking for EXACT differences is quite a stretch...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Intel impressed me from the beginning. From the 286 to the 386 to the 486 to the Pentiums to the core2duo to the current i series. I've had smooth performance and stable reliability. Intel has designed in a thermal protection system that not only protects the cpu chip but the entire system as well. When the chip runs really hot the cpu controller will throttle back to 50%. If it is still running hot it will issue a hard shut down command and turn it self off. That's built in to the chip. AMD as I understand them, still relies on external sensors to monitor the cpu temp. I'm not comfortable with that. On the other hand I can with confidence leave my Intel based systems running while I'm gone for a bit and not worry about it frying itself if the cpu fan fails.

As far as how good they work, they just keep getting better and better. And faster too. As the thickness of the chip decreases the power to operate the chip decreases with it. Memory controller built in along with high performance HD video.

Yeah they cost more but that sort of performance and self protection doesn't come cheap.

AMD as I understand them, still relies on external sensors to monitor the cpu temp. I'm not comfortable with that.

While I can't swear to it, what little info I can find indicates that since the Athalon CPU's, AMD now has an in chip monitor that will do the same thing. I can't verify it 100% but I did find it in a few places online. It's hard to search for "amd overheating" without finding a bunch of forum posts with the problem instead of a site with the facts.

Does Athlon 64 have the same thermal protection safety as Pentium CPU's now?!! [Archive] - AnandTech Forums
How come AMD cpus don't have thermal shutdown protection ?? - AMD - Overclocking
AMD Overheating Protection? - PCMech Forums

Right right... This helps a ton. Didn't exactly know that Intel had a internal chip etc..

I honestly was going to go with AMD for just a budget pc at the moment.. being as Intel and AMD just came out with a new generation of CPUs.. But, I'm thinking on giving a go at the new A10's that just came out.

But how much performance difference would there be between a A10-6800K CPU.. and a i7-4770K.. there the new CPUs that came out D: Knowing that intel would be better.. But is it worth the extra $200?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom