AMD vs AMD

bullzi

Fully Optimized
Which of the two processors bellow would be faster?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103046

or...

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.6GHz
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103868

ill be getting a decent biostar motherboard (i know biostar isnt all that great, but the reviews on this mobo are good) this motherboard is AM2 with DDR2 and agp. my 7800 is a great card and i dont want to part with it just yet as i am 100% certain my athlon 3200 is bottlenecking it, the 7800 runs COD4 great but the processor cant keep up in AI intensive situations... so im upgrading somewhat... and i need to know which of those processors is faster

thanks,
kyle

the dual core of course, but if your going to get that one you might as well get one a little bit better but other than that i'd say x2

thats what i thought too, but isnt the 3600 and 4000 a way of measuring the overall speed of the processor?

i have the dual core, and its amazing. overclocks nicely too. dual core will definately be faster than a single core like that. yeah the 3600+/4000+ is supposed to be a P4 equivalent but having 2 cores is so much fun :) also i OCed mine on a cheap biostar mobo to 2.7ghz on a 30$ cooler.

although i stronly advice against getting another AGP board, thats just silly. than your going to have to upgrade again fairly soon. i say just hold out a bit longer, maybe buy an AM2\939 cooler and OC your CPU a bit.

i have the dual core, and its amazing. overclocks nicely too. dual core will definately be faster than a single core like that. yeah the 3600+/4000+ is supposed to be a P4 equivalent but having 2 cores is so much fun :) also i OCed mine on a cheap biostar mobo to 2.7ghz on a 30$ cooler.

although i stronly advice against getting another AGP board, thats just silly. than your going to have to upgrade again fairly soon. i say just hold out a bit longer, maybe buy an AM2\939 cooler and OC your CPU a bit.

yea thats what i thought it was an intel equivalent... some guy oc'ed this 3600 from 1.9 to 2.9 stable, and this biostar board is supposedly a decent oc'er

but i think im gonna get agp, i know its kinda dumb, but i dont have a job or any way of income and it would be a LONG time before i got a whole system for pci-e and stuff like that, im perfectly fine with 40fps and medium settings on new games, however my current setup runs COD4 medium-high 40-60 fps, 20 in AI situations, so i think just getting this new board will bring some good performance for a bit longer till i can find a job since ive only been 16 for 4 days :) i do understand where your coming from, and im not trying to shoot your advice down, i really appreciate it, though it would take me waaay too long to get pci-e

If you're going to get a new CPU, you should consider buying a new mobo with an AM2 socket so it will be more upgradable.

Back
Top Bottom