AMD Processor - Heatsink Question

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
About to purchase another AMD processor and install it for my brother after he saw how much my amd processor was then my old p4. Anyways, last when I purchased an AMD processor off of newegg it said that it came with a heatsink. Here's the processor I reccomened to him and that were going to purchase:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103514

In my experince with AMD processors is that when they're in a box like that, the heatsink is attached to the processor, thus elminating the need for putting the heatsink on the processor, and aftermarket thermalpaste. Does this processor come with a attached heatsink?

I have a similar processor as you can see from my sig. The thermal compund is already attached at the bottom of the heatsink (little square block). All you have to do is remove the piece of paper on the bottom and stick it on the CPU. No additional thermal grease is necessary.

If you buy the CPU retail, it will come with the stock AMD approved heatsink with attached fan then of course, the CPU itself. As I mentioned earlier, the thermal compound is on the bottom of the heatsink, not on top of the CPU originally. When you apply the heatsink on top of the CPU, the thermal compound will make contact with the top of the processor. Then clip the heatsink hooks in place. It's tight, but ensures a firm hold.

OEM versions DO NOT come with heatsinks/fans
Only RETAIL versions do and Newegg is very good about noting this distinction.

Usually the term "BOXED" is used to connote that it comes with a fan and heatsink.

Back
Top Bottom